Plot_top_losses gives unexpected results when run on Colab

I just started the course and was running Lecture 1 Jupyter notes on Colab.
interp.plot_top_losses(9, figsize=(15,11)) function plots something like this

1. Why are the images different?
  2. Why is the probability so low

The error rate I got was 0.068336 slightly more that what is shown in the lecture. Do these things depend on the the platform?

Welcome to Fast.AI and the forums! So the top_losses will be slightly different for most people compared to the lectures for a variety of reasons: every model trains slightly differently, perhaps there was a slightly different amount of epochs needed to hit the ā€˜problem childrenā€™ of the dataset, or perhaps just pure randomness introduced.

And the error rate would again be due to the above. Iā€™ve seen this within my models, where the end result will be the same (roughly) but getting to that point can take a different number of epochs depending on the run! Does this help explain what you are seeing? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for such quick reply. The difference in error rate makes sense.
But are the weird looking images that the function outputs are becuase of ā€œevery model trains slightly differently, perhaps there was a slightly different amount of epochs needed to hit the ā€˜problem childrenā€™ of the dataset, or perhaps just pure randomness introducedā€ ?
Is that what you meant?

Exactly, for instance the boxer in the top left corner is one that is similar in my top losses Iā€™ve seen running this notebook, but there could be others that it missed during that last epoch it ran (thatā€™s what plot top losses shows)

1 Like

Great. Thanks a lot for the help