Platform: Paperspace and Gradient ✅

Any questions related to Paperspace / Gradient can be posted here.

Note that this is a forum wiki thread, so you all can edit this post to add/change/organize info to help make it better! To edit, click on the little pencil icon at the bottom of this post. Here’s a pic of what to look for:

discourse_edit_btn

4 Likes

I already have a Paperspace “Core” machine set up with the previous course version, can I use that instead of creating a new “Gradient” instance?

Gradient is easier - but you’re welcome to use the core platform if you prefer.

3 Likes

Thanks @jeremy I’ll use Gradient for now for the course, then think about choosing one way or another, I have a project up on the Core machine that I’m plugging away at.

1 Like

Dan here from Paperspace. Feel free to ping me with any questions you have! We love this course and want to be helpful in any way we can.

5 Likes

How long does it usually takes for a Notebook to spin up ?
I canceled mine after 15mn.

1 Like

@Chris237 It should only take a few seconds to spin up. We’ll take a look asap.

Just a note: I’m checking out Gradient and I was running the lesson1-pets notebook, and it seemed to get stuck on this line: help(untar_data). The kernel was still saying it was running after several minutes, even after the progress bar got to 100%. Not sure what caused that exactly, but I just wanted to report that if you hit that situation, I was able to just hit the stop button, run the cell again, and proceed through the rest of the notebook.

We are seeing that as well. Seems to just be taking a while to untar the image in the /storage persistent data directory. If it looks frozen after a few minutes you can try to start the notebook again.

1 Like

anyone else getting an import error when trying to import from fastai? Getting the following error:

ImportError: libcuda.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If it helps you track things down, the trace I saw when I killed the cell had to do with chowning the files. Could be some kind of permissions issue.

are you using an instance that supports a GPU? If you are on a C instance type it won’t have CUDA which is an NVIDIA GPU library.

1 Like

thx! can you share a screenshot or logs of what you are looking at? we are trying to track it down

Sadly I lost the logs because I re-ran the cell, should’ve saved them. I went back to do it now, and it looks like it’s working.

I could’ve sworn that before it wasn’t actually going to /storage/, that might’ve been the change?

So I just did a fresh run to try to replicate, and sure it enough it went to the other location:

But it was really fast this time–it didn’t hang.

Hello! I already have a VM with fastaiv07 (which i want to maintain), which will be the steps to create a 2nd environment where to install the last version of fastai?

Hi !
Is the promo code only for ‘in-person students’ ? Because it gives me an error when I want to claim it.

I’m logged in with the same mail address than on the forum, added my credit card and everything is set up following the instructions but I get :

Error! User cannot claim promo code

Hi @dkobran, hope you are well?

I am using Paperspace VM, P4000.

How would I configure the new course (which is to be configured on Gradient) on the same machine?

Please let me know.

Hope my question is not ambiguous.

Thanks,
Abhay Varma

I was in the same situation with a paperspace P4000 set up for the previous course. When I tried running the first notebook I realised it used the CPU because it took such a long time, when I saw on Jeremy’s notebook it only took 30 seconds for one epoch. It turned out that you have to upgrade the CUDA version to 9.2 (I had 9.1). It was a little bit messy, I mainly followed the instructions here: https://medium.com/@abhiksingla10/installing-cuda-9-2-and-cudnn-7-1-on-ubuntu-16-04-d194cee27cba .

In summary you have to install/upgrade three things:

1. Nvidia drivers: NVIDIA Drivers 396.54 worked for me with CUDA 9.2
  2. CUDA 9.2
  3. CUDNN 7.1

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Hi Dan, I´ve been using paperspace for the last six month´s and I ´d like to keep using paperspace for this new fastai v3 course. I´ve tried many times to set a new machine, but I´m having lots of problems every time I create a new machine. I wish I could have a step by step tutorial that could work for fastai v1.0.11, which is the more stable version today. Otherwise, I believe myself and many old customers will end up changing to google and AWS … Thanks