Platform: Paperspace (Free; Paid options)

Is it just me or does it take forever for a notebook on paperspace to open up? I typically have to wait 10 -15 mins when it used to be instantaneous.

1 Like

I have noticed this as well. It doesn’t seem to make much difference whether it’s a paid or a free runtime, either.

UPDATE: I got a message back from Paperspace support, saying:

" Thanks for contacting Paperspace. It looks like you are currently running the notebook ’ REFERENCENUMBER. ’ Please make sure to store all of your files within the /storage folder. This alone will improve your provisioning times and decrease any chance of errors.

I haven’t fully figured out how to do this yet, or whether it’s even advised given the course’s instructions, but in case this is useful for someone else, I’m posting the message here. I removed the reference number as it was only specific to me.

UPDATE2: what I did was to move the fastbook folder and the course-v4 folder into the storage folder. You can do this with the GUI. This seems to result in significantly faster load times when starting up the server. YMMV.

Further UPDATE: I returned to my Paperspace machine today, and all the folders with all my work were gone. there was no fastbook folder, and no course-v4. I hadn’t done much, so it wasn’t too big a deal, but I think the issue here was the moving things into the storage folder. I’m not sure I’d follow the advice from the support email above any more, given this experience, at least until they explain a bit more what happened.

I have problem with Paperspace. From book page 44 is simple IMDB sample. When text_classifier_learner(…) is run, I get always error. Index out of range. Other small examples from books chapter 1 worked. I have not done any updates or special steps. Just create new notebook (and used Paperspace fastai v4 premade gradient environment).

Should I do some steps after new notebook to get text_classifier_learner to work with IMDB dataset?

Hey there did you a fix for this problem?

I’m using paperspace gradient with free-gpu. I’m on Lesson 8. (notebook 10_nlp)
When i run this:

I get this error:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/storage/data/imdb_tok/counter.pkl’

I could not find counter.pkl in any of the folders yet. How can this be solved?

To anyone looking to solve this issue:

delete the folder by launching a terminal in /storage/data/

1 Like

Hi. I’m trying to get set up on Paperspace. For step 3 in the Basic steps above, I’m not seeing the container “Paperspace + Fast.Ai 2.0 (V4).” When I look under the all containers tab, the only fastai containers I’m seeing are “Paperspace + Fast.AI” and “Paperspace + Fast.AI 1.0 (V3).” I initially selected “Paperspace + Fast.AI” based on the instructions given here https://course.fast.ai/start_gradient.html#step-2-create-notebook
However, with this container, the import statements in /course-v4/nbs/01_intro.ipynb are failing. Any guidance on what is the correct container I need to use?

Hi @tomg or @dkobran. Should there be a “Paperspace + Fast.Ai 2.0 (V4)” container available on Paperspace?

Hi @agrahame – These instructions are correct, this container is the latest and all encompassing container. Meaning it has both fastbook and course-v4 in it and has been tested with both.

Couple of tips for success:

You MUST run on a GPU capable instance, you cannot run fastai without a GPU.
As always, please run a refresh of the repo once inside course-v4 (or fastbook) directory via a git pull.

@tomg thanks for your quick response! I’ve ensured that I’m running on a GPU enabled instance and that my fastbook repository is up-to-date. However, if I try to execute the setup cell inside the /fastbook/01_intro.ipynb notebook, I’m getting the below errors:

I even tried adding “pip install azure-cognitiveservices-search-imagesearch” and “pip install nbdev” but in both cases I get the output that they’re already installed. However, I still just get the same NameError. Not sure if I’m missing something.

Hmm, this is very strange indeed @agrahame since all of these dependencies are pre-installed. Perhaps you’ve modified your notebook? I was unable to replicate this issue just now.

I suggest creating a fresh new notebook using the Papersapce + Fast.AI container found under our Recommended containers – then once launched open a terminal and cd into fastbook and pull down the latest version via git pull. These are the steps I followed and was able to start lesson 1 without issues.

@tomg I think I’ve identified the issue. In the instructions found here https://course.fast.ai/start_gradient#step-3--update-the-fastai-library it says to run “pip install fastai fastcore --upgrade” after starting the machine. However, this seems to be what’s leading to the errors I was seeing. I just created a notebook from scratch and didn’t run that pip install and now I’m not seeing the error. Thanks for your help.

I had the same error message (“IN_NOTEBOOK is not defined”) with the first cell (“from utils import *, from fastai.vision.widgets import *”) when trying to run the original 02_production notebook (fresh new notebook as Tom suggested, followed the gradient instructions including the “pip install fastai fast core --upgrade”). Tried it without the “pip install” command and it ran without errors. Thanks for the help

To solve the problem, run

pip install nbdev --upgrade

1 Like

Thanks worked for the IN_NOTEBOOK error

I’m having trouble getting through errors in Lesson 1.
I’m using the free trial, and I’ve gone through the instructions to update things in terminal,
ie:

pip install fastai fastcore --upgrade
cd fastbook
git pull

Running the first cell from utils import * had a hitch, this was fixed with pip install nbdev --upgrade, but now for “Running my First Notebook” I get the following error:

<ipython-input-2-3244ec10e8a7> in <module>
     10 learn = cnn_learner(dls, resnet34, metrics=error_rate)
---> 11 learn.fine_tune(1)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/utils.py in _f(*args, **kwargs)
    471         init_args.update(log)
    472         setattr(inst, 'init_args', init_args)
--> 473         return inst if to_return else f(*args, **kwargs)
    474     return _f

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/callback/schedule.py in fine_tune(self, epochs, base_lr, freeze_epochs, lr_mult, pct_start, div, **kwargs)
    159     "Fine tune with `freeze` for `freeze_epochs` then with `unfreeze` from `epochs` using discriminative LR"
    160     self.freeze()
--> 161     self.fit_one_cycle(freeze_epochs, slice(base_lr), pct_start=0.99, **kwargs)
    162     base_lr /= 2
    163     self.unfreeze()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/utils.py in _f(*args, **kwargs)
    474     return _f

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/callback/schedule.py in fit_one_cycle(self, n_epoch, lr_max, div, div_final, pct_start, wd, moms, cbs, reset_opt)
    111     scheds = {'lr': combined_cos(pct_start, lr_max/div, lr_max, lr_max/div_final),
    112               'mom': combined_cos(pct_start, *(self.moms if moms is None else moms))}
--> 113     self.fit(n_epoch, cbs=ParamScheduler(scheds)+L(cbs), reset_opt=reset_opt, wd=wd)
    115 # Cell

474     return _f

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in fit(self, n_epoch, lr, wd, cbs, reset_opt)
    205             self.opt.set_hypers(lr=self.lr if lr is None else lr)
    206             self.n_epoch,self.loss = n_epoch,tensor(0.)
--> 207             self._with_events(self._do_fit, 'fit', CancelFitException, self._end_cleanup)
    209     def _end_cleanup(self): self.dl,self.xb,self.yb,self.pred,self.loss = None,(None,),(None,),None,None

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)
    154     def _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final=noop):
--> 155         try:       self(f'before_{event_type}')       ;f()
    156         except ex: self(f'after_cancel_{event_type}')
    157         finally:   self(f'after_{event_type}')        ;final()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_fit(self)
    195         for epoch in range(self.n_epoch):
    196             self.epoch=epoch
--> 197             self._with_events(self._do_epoch, 'epoch', CancelEpochException)
    199     @log_args(but='cbs')

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_epoch(self)
    190     def _do_epoch(self):
--> 191         self._do_epoch_train()
    192         self._do_epoch_validate()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_epoch_train(self)
    181     def _do_epoch_train(self):
    182         self.dl = self.dls.train
--> 183         self._with_events(self.all_batches, 'train', CancelTrainException)
    185     def _do_epoch_validate(self, ds_idx=1, dl=None):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in all_batches(self)
    159     def all_batches(self):
    160         self.n_iter = len(self.dl)
--> 161         for o in enumerate(self.dl): self.one_batch(*o)
    163     def _do_one_batch(self):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in one_batch(self, i, b)
    177         self.iter = i
    178         self._split(b)
--> 179         self._with_events(self._do_one_batch, 'batch', CancelBatchException)
    181     def _do_epoch_train(self):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_one_batch(self)
    163     def _do_one_batch(self):
--> 164         self.pred = self.model(*self.xb)
    165         self('after_pred')
    166         if len(self.yb): self.loss = self.loss_func(self.pred, *self.yb)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in _call_impl(self, *input, **kwargs)
    720             result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
    721         else:
--> 722             result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
    723         for hook in itertools.chain(
    724                 _global_forward_hooks.values(),

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py in forward(self, input)
    115     def forward(self, input):
    116         for module in self:
--> 117             input = module(input)
    118         return input

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in _call_impl(self, *input, **kwargs)
    721         else:

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/container.py in forward(self, input)
    118         return input

721         else:

118         return input

721         else:

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torchvision/models/resnet.py in forward(self, x)
     61         out = self.relu(out)
---> 63         out = self.conv2(out)
     64         out = self.bn2(out)

721         else:

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py in forward(self, input)
    418     def forward(self, input: Tensor) -> Tensor:
--> 419         return self._conv_forward(input, self.weight)
    421 class Conv3d(_ConvNd):

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/conv.py in _conv_forward(self, input, weight)
    413                             weight, self.bias, self.stride,
    414                             _pair(0), self.dilation, self.groups)
--> 415         return F.conv2d(input, weight, self.bias, self.stride,
    416                         self.padding, self.dilation, self.groups)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/signal_handling.py in handler(signum, frame)
     64         # This following call uses `waitid` with WNOHANG from C side. Therefore,
     65         # Python can still get and update the process status successfully.
---> 66         _error_if_any_worker_fails()
     67         if previous_handler is not None:
     68             previous_handler(signum, frame)

RuntimeError: DataLoader worker (pid 1862) is killed by signal: Killed.

How do I fix this? Why’d I get this problem so early on in the first place? Thanks!

UPDATE:

I deleted and remade the notebook, following the above steps (before the runtime error) and now everything is working as intended. Not sure what happened in the first place, but this was my fix.

1 Like

Hello, I want to use tex fonts for my matplotlib plots on Gradient. How can I install them on the server? Now I am just getting an error that latex is not found when i try to plot with tex fonts

I’m on a paid Paperspace plan and using the fastaiv2 notebooks.
Following the 10_nlp.ipynb, when running
learn.save('1epoch') I get a “File system is read-only” error.
It seems that learn.path is Path('/storage/data/imdb'), which is read-only.
I can easily set learn.path to something else (e.g., Path(’/storage/models/imdb’)) to solve this immediate issue.
However, I am concerned that doing so might have other implications (for example, will that cause problems with loading data?).

What is the recommended approach to solve this issue?

Thanks

Thanks for the tip re wandb, was running into this problem myself. I hope it’ll be implemented soon, but it’s been many months since your comment and still no tensorboard.

1 Like