Part 2 Lesson 8 wiki

Can someone tell about how to use open_image(). I am getting this type error from pathlib.py (TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not dict) . I’ve tried typecasting but it is not working out ?

what are you passing? Looks like a dictionary.

Yes Thank you

I tried with this, open_image(IMG_PATH/im0_d[FILE_NAME]) . I tried typecasting as well, it’s not working .

Just paste IMG_PATH/im0_d[FILE_NAME] in a cell and see what it is. Then paste type(IMG_PATH/im0_d[FILE_NAME]) in a cell and see what that is. I haven’t run the code yet so don’t know off the top of my head.

For PyCharm and Mac users - a list of the shortcuts Jeremy provided for Visual Studio Code.

Action (PyCharm + Mac shortcut)
Command palette- (Shift + Command + A)
Select interpreter (for fastai env) - (Shift+Command+A) and then look for “interpreter”
Select terminal shell- (Shift+Command+A) and then look for “terminal shell”
Go to symbol (Option + Command + O)
Find references (Command+ G)(go down in the references) (Command + Shift + G) (go up)(Command + Function + F7) (look for all)
Go to definition (Command + Down Arrow Key)
Go back (Command + [ )
View documentation ( Option + Space) for viewing source and (Function + F1) for viewing documentation
Hide sidebar (Command + 1) redoing it will bring it back
Zen mode (Control + Command + F) and same to get out too.

Find them all with the (Shift + Command+ A) palette option for reference.

Probably not the best list (would love suggestions) and perhaps should create a new thread for it too. Just wanted to leave myself a note. Didn’t use symbols/shorthand for keys because I had trouble with them as a new Mac user once when I didn’t use shortcuts.

16 Likes

I tried with IMG_PATH/im0_d[FILE_NAME] , it gives the same error.

You will have to give more information than this. Exact Input/Exact Output otherwise it’s not possible to help. Read http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/How_to_ask_for_Help

This is awesome, thanks! I’ve been using PyCharm and thought I should find the equivalents (especially “Go back”). Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

3 Likes

If you need to typeset some pretty math:

• Markdown cells accept LaTeX math inside dollar symbols: $\alpha$ becomes \alpha (now it works in Discourse too).
  • There is an awesome interactive online service for converting drawings into LaTeX math symbols.
5 Likes

what is the output of im0_d[FILE_NAME]?

This is probably nothing but I’m wondering if there’s a reason for the -1 in the definition of the train annotations dictionary:
bb = np.array([bb[1], bb[0], bb[3]+bb[1]-1, bb[2]+bb[0]-1])

If we look at the first annotations on image 12, the initial bbox is [155, 96, 196, 174] and the segmentation is [155, 96, 155, 270, 351, 270, 351, 96] which I interpret as the rectangle with (96,155) top left and (270,351) top bottom. So we would want [96,155,270,351] as our new bbox while we have [ 96, 155, 269, 350] in the notebook.

Furthermore, the bb_hw(a) function doesn’t do the inverse operation as bb_hw([ 96, 155, 269, 350]) returns [155,96,195,173]), we would need to have
return np.array([a[1],a[0],a[3]-a[1]+1,a[2]-a[0]+1])
to be consistent.

3 Likes

Our training set (nearly) always has labels for us. Our goal is to train a model that adds those labels to data that doesn’t have them.

For instance, a trained object detection model could be used in a self-driving car to identify the location of pedestrians and other cars.

2 Likes

The loss function in the single bounding box model we trained is L1 loss. You can see where I set learn.crit (and this is discussed in the video).

I suggest you re-watch the video today and hopefully it’ll all make sense! :slight_smile: (and if not, don’t hesitate to ask…)

3 Likes

I’ve added the lesson video to the top post now.

2 Likes

I normally just go back to the debugging prompt and hit ‘q’.

3 Likes

Does anyone know of any Bounding Box annotation tools, or specific crowdsource services, that we could use for our own datasets?

1 Like

That’s because opencv doesn’t support pathlib. The correct way to call it is:

open_img(str(PATH/'something'))
3 Likes

Heh - I had no idea! Thanks for teaching me something new today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please don’t tag me unless I’m the only person that can answer your question (which isn’t the case here).

1 Like