Paperspace setup help

Why do you think that’s the issue?

I did that and it didn’t fix my issue.

I dont know… still going through the process… but I checked. amd64.deb files wasnt downloaded either because keys are fetched later

getting it to install is pretty hard work already

1 Like

I am going to delete my VMs.

Keep me posted on your progress.

I might have to try doing the installation step by step.

didnt work

This is very discouraging… I guess I can go try doing the AWS setup, but I am already invested in this…

Hope someone is able to fix it soon.

did it… God amount of stuff I had to learn for just setting this up

so Jupyter config file isnt configured because of the break down

ran the following command
vim ~/.jupyter/jupyter_notebook_config.py

press “i” to enter insert mode
Copied the following at the top

c.NotebookApp.ip = '*'
c.NotebookApp.open_browser = False

press “Esc” and “wq:” enter to save and exit

than ran the jupyter notebook and it works

1 Like

Great job!

Can you or someone submit a PR to fix that?

@financepk Will that work if I get a new VM, run that installation script, and make that config change?

Sushant – Dan from Paperspace here. Just shoot over your email that you have in our system and I’ll get you approved right away: dan@paperspace.com

Thanks!

2 Likes

So I am still a bit confused. If I use the hourly plan, will I keep getting charged until I delete my machine? Like what if I go on vacation for a month and don’t turn on my machine. Will I still get the flat fee charged?

There is flat fee for storage.($5 per month). On top of that there is a charge for every hour you use the machine. You are responsible to shut it down every time after you are done.

So just to be clear, as long as I shut it down, I would not get charged if I don’t use my machine for a month.

This is already included in our setup script. Not sure why it didn’t run for you…

Please do! :slight_smile:

@jk23541

Summary of Charges for Paperspace

• STORAGE: 250 GB ($7/month) or 50 GB ($5/month)
  • USAGE: $0.40/hr (least expensive machine available)
  • PUBLIC IP ADDRESS: $3/month (single static IP address)

If you shut down your machine, you will not be charged for usage. However, you will be charged for storage and the IP address.

5 Likes

I couldn’t tell you why, but it didn’t. The script is failing for some reason.

I did the setup line by line, and somewhere in the middle, I had to hit enter to continue. That might be the problem. It asked me to pick [Y, I, ..., N...] N = default or something like that.

Once I was done running all the commands, it finally worked.

There is definitely an issue with the setup script for Paperspace.
Before that could be launched officially, this issue must be resolved. I hope someone with a background in DevOps can take a look and solve it.

@financepk your advice helped me.

Ah OK if you ran it line by line rather than as a script then it won’t work. You need to run it as a script.

Dan from Paperspace here. I can confirm this is an accurate summary. Thanks for providing this @reshama

1 Like

Thanks - your diagnosis (that the script broke at the unzip dogscats.zip step) and recommendation (to complete the missing parts of the script manually in an ssh session) was exactly right. After completing the missing steps in the script and restarting the paperspace env, I was able to get jupyter notebooks going in a browser and all the libraries were there. Thanks!

3 Likes

Ok thanks

The curl http://files.fast.ai/setup/paperspace | bash command breaks after 10 minutes, I tried to restart the machine and the machine cannot restart, I then have to delete the machine and pay the fees. I’ve now created a new machine and the bash command still does not run.

1 Like