Offline working

I am going to be sailing offshore and will have very limited access to the internet.

My computer is a Mac

Do any of the notebooks support offline working?
Is it possible to download the course (fastaiV3) videos to playback offline?

Hi DCL hope all is well!

If you have not already done so, I suggest you install Anaconda and fastai on your mac.

Download the fastai lesson repository so you have a copy on on your desktop.

Notebooks 1 and 2 work fine, after that the epochs for the other lessons can take anything from 30m to hours to complete.

Go to your cloud installation, then for each notebook select runtime from the menu and run all cells , save all the output models and completed notebooks to your mac.

Now when you are running the descktop version of your notebooks offline, you will have all the models and notes in the notebooks form the cloud you need and can use the files created online in your offline notebooks. So you can import models where required and skip the time consuming training time.

I caveat is that you will have to make sure that the library versions in your online version match or are quite close to your desktop environment otherwise models trained online will not work on your desktop and vice versa. I use pip list to achieve this.

I use a Macbook Pro 2016 without the onboard GPU being used and Google Colab for my cloud work.

You may have some issues related to such things as Cuda when running some of the notebooks on your Mac however you can always use cloud notebooks to see what should of happened.

This approach works for me when I have limited access to the internet.

Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley::smiley: