[MLT] fastbook Study Group (Sat 4-6 PM IST | Sun 5PM-7PM PT) Run 2!

Note: This is a Wiki! Please feel free to edit/update it!

Study group for fast.ai book and course

Note: There are now 2 study groups to cover maximum time zones, Starting Saturday August 29th and 30th:

• Asia/Europe: Saturdays at 4PM-6PM Indian Time (3.30am pacific, 6.30am eastern, 11.30am Britain)

• US Time Zones: Sundays 5PM-7PM PT (8pm Eastern, 1am (Monday) Britain, 5:30am (Monday) IST)

Other:

• (Unofficial) Office Hours: Saturdays 5PM PT (8PM Eastern) A call to ask questions about ML in general or from any lecture of the course (Not following a structure/schedule), please check here

Where to get the Book:

Structure

This will be hosted via the Machine Learning Tokyo Community and fastai discord.

We’ll utilise the text channels for discussions and a weekly zoom call that will be hosted on Saturdays

Or you can simply join via Zoom.

The structure follows a Silent Study Group + discussions:

• 1.5 hours of Silently reading the book by ourself.
  • 30 minutes of discussing the book, questionnaire, related topics

Schedule:

Note: Zoom links are different for both the calls and are prone to change, please always check this wiki and make sure you’re using the right one to join:

• US Call: Sunday from 5PM-7PM PT (8PM PT, 1AM Britain (Mon), 5:30AM (Mon) IST. Zoom Link to join
  • Asia/Europe Call: Saturday from 4PM-6PM Indian Time (3.30am pacific, 6.30am eastern, 11.30am Britain), Zoom Link to join

The goal is not to complete a fixed number of pages every meeting but instead read at our own pace, run the notebooks and discuss.

I’ll be leading the discussions since I’ve had a small head start with the book.

Note: The sessions will NOT be recorded to respect the license of the book, please read more here. Instead the discussions will be documented via this Wiki

History and Motivation:

We’ve recently completed 18 weeks of studying the fastai book with a very strong group at Machine Learning Tokyo, Tweet thread about what we’ve learned while organising these.

Since the group and new course are now live, we’ll be re-starting the study group starting this Saturday at 4PM IST (Note: Timings are totally upto the group’s decisions) + Now we have a group for US at 5PM PT (Sundays)

• Sanyam
38 Likes

Very happy that you started. Thank you. Looking forward

Thanks for the initiative. So we just need to join at last 30 minutes of every session in zoom call?

Sure! You could do that, but the MLT Group has been hosting a silent study group and personally I find it v encouraging to go through the book along w the group

@dkobran & @tomg. FYI, we have study group of ~50 people, I’ve recommend paperspace to our group and helped everyone setup. If any/some issues arise, I’ll bring them to your attention :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, the link to the Zoom meeting is not responsive

As a reminder, we’ll be reading lesson 2 and discussing lesson-1 today

Link to join will remain same each week, please look at top wiki for all details.

Hi Sanyam,

I might be missing something, but the link for zoom doesn’t work. It’s not even clickable. Can you please confirm if it works or is it just a problem I am facing. All the other links work.

Sorry about that, I’ve just corrected it, should work now.

1 Like

@gansme, @czechcheck, continuing the discussion here.

Could you please join the MLT Slack community which we use to organise these, I’ll introduce you to the organising teams :slight_smile:

Edit: Link to join

Hey @zerotosingularity!
I know you had mentioned that seeme.ai is currently in beta-invite for Course p1-v4 students, is it okay if I showcase it in our study group?

Thanks!

Absolutely!

Is there any way I can support you for that? iOS version, SDK sample, …?

Thank you!

Oh wow, I’m sorry I’ve been behind, Last time I checked there was just a Python version :smiley:

Will DM you for help :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind offer, @init_27. We’re merging in a fast.ai meetup group @marii has been running for a while so we’re all set with 2 co-hosts. I’ve updated the Bay Area thread with info on the new post-class meeting times here.

It would be great to share learnings across the groups. I’ll DM you to see how we might coordinate that.

1 Like

Awesome! Please feel free to reach out to for anything that I can help with.

The MLT slack group is also active with discussions if anyone would like to join the discussions-anyone/everyone is welcome :tea:

Inviting the group to share the reviews since we read the book before it got officially published, but I don’t want that from keeping us from sharing our experience :pray:

Really enjoyed fastbook, great blend of code, examples and math. Review questions at the end of each chapter are great to help you recap too.

Hello everyone,
I’m studying the Tabular section from the fastbook,

And when I try to run the cluster_columns I got an error,

Any advise to solve this ?

Will attend this run for sure @init_27. Waiting for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank for doing this again. Will definitely be joining this time

1 Like