Lesson 7 In-Class Discussion

Are RNNs only used in NLP or other areas of research also?

Please let me know if I am right or wrong. I am thinking of RNN as a model for predicting over a sequence of events.

For instance, we can predict sequence of moves to be taken by Rafael Nadal in a live match, given his first 3 moves (for a single rally). OR we can predict trajectory followed by a taxi given only it’s first 4-5 coordinates. (like for taxi trajectory competition).

Is it right to think of these examples? If not, what other uses of RNN can there be?

So, I tried to search for answer to my own question. This post turned out to be helpful.

I think it is better to think of RNN as model for unknown/ varying number of inputs and outputs (than just a sequence of events)

Summary of a few use cases –
• 1 image as input --> varying length english sentence describing image as output (1 to many mapping)
• 1 video as input --> varying length english sentences describing different frames of video as output (many to many)
• 1 varying length sentence as input --> 1 output telling +ve or -ve sentiment (many to 1)

Is it March 19th 2018 or March 2019?? Sorry if it seems silly, but I am a remote student and was wondering if I should wait for part2 v2 or start part2 v1. Also, saw Jeremy’s comment that part2 v1 is pretty much current news.

part2 v2 begins March 19, 2018
part2 v1 is a prereq to part2 v2, so YES, you should begin that.

more prereq info in this blog:
Deep Learning Diversity Fellowship Applications Now Open