Lesson 5 - Official Topic

How can we protect for technology missuses? What kind of resources do people have available?

Will discuss later.

3 Likes

Should cars be regulated? Should planes be regulated? :wink:

10 Likes

Another controversial facial recognition application is Clearview AI

3 Likes

Are there any materials that we can use to do self study + will the slides be shared? Thanks! (Or is it all included in the fastbook? Apologies if I missed it!)

1 Like

Yes, check the fastbook questionnaire (answers will be added later).

3 Likes

I have found Ethical Institute to be useful to think about ethics principles in a practical way and use their frameworks/tools to keep a check

Regulating complex things tends to create a false sense of security.

Airplanes and cars are complex, but move slow enough in development to where I guess it works… but look at the SEC and Wall Street for an example of where fast moving, less tangible things get to be less easy to regulate.

How do we penalise AI models to make them ethically correct?

These are the principles followed at Microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/responsible-ai

It’s chapter 3.

1 Like

Some companies are starting to explain their approach on AI ethics and share publicly: i.e. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/responsible-ai , https://ai.google/principles/

4 Likes

It’s interesting to talk about ways metrics can invite manipulation and gaming. I wonder what the alternative is though - how good would hospitals be in absence of regulations around patient wait times? I.e. there’s harm in overreliance of metrics, but there could be harm without them as well.

1 Like

80% of viewing at YouTube came from the recommendation algorithms. I am such a sucker for those recommendations. That algorithm gets me every time.

1 Like

How many of these ethical issues could simply be solved by actually TESTING the models in trials with real world data? Or is even that not enough?

I’m a bit tired of the false sense of security argument at the moment…

Being badly regulated is another topic. You can’t say a thing should not be regulate just because it could be badly regulated.

9 Likes

Though as important a topic is, given it directly mostly addresses the negatives - damages done, these to me appears a very first world problem given we are doing lots of damages both in terms of wars (Middle East), poverty (Africa, Asia, S. America & even within N.America), environmental exploitation (global warming), wildlife damages (extinction events) which are larger damages.

Knowing AI/Algorithms are gonna touch us in every aspect, AI ethics is definitely very important - not downplaying it. So there is a dichotomy between the thought above (relevance) vs importance. Do others also carry any such?

1 Like

Thanks!

Is there any downside with Federated learning? Especially Homomorphic encryption.

1 Like

Have people investigated biases that emerge from models other than deep learning/optimization models like agent based models?