Internships

Hi, @jeremy you’re an amazing teacher. As you’ve said that we don’t need to be a Ph.D. holder. But, whenever I apply for internships I notice that minimum requirement is either Ph.D. or M.S.

Please read the Forum Etiquette in the FAQ about @ people.

Yep; some companies have selection criteria on internships and grad roles based on degrees. If you want those internships you should probably get those degrees.

But you don’t need to be a Ph.D. holder to practice deep learning. And you don’t need an internship to practice or work in deep learning.

2 Likes

@aniketmaurya Like Deep Learning, the hiring landscape is pretty pre-mature.
Hence recruiters that aren’t familiar with what to look for in a candidate put up-PhD or a Masters as a way to gauge expertise.
Those can be a metric, but not the only way- I agree.

Meanwhile, you can try finding or talking to startups or research labs that would welcome you as a research intern. I’ve done quite a few Research and Industrial internships by talking to the practitioners in the company. Once they understand your interests-mostly its a welcoming world :slight_smile:

Edit: Instead of looking for an internship-building a good project can be a great way to boost your portfolio. Please check the “Share your work thread” for many great projects.

3 Likes

While this may be true (especially in job). I’ve experience that in internship they don’t require Ph.D or M.S in majority of cases. Did you try searching on Internshalla.com?