In class discussion: Lesson 2

Ask questions, add comments/tips, etc here for lesson 2!

In the import section of the random forest notebook --> PATH = “data/bulldozers/”

Is this path relative to the location of the notebook?

Update: It is.

Yup - because it doesn’t start with ‘/’

Is there a way to import the fastai packages into the local environment that we are working in?
I tried using sys.path.append to include the path to fastai, but this throws an error while importing.

It shouldn’t be necessary to import them - there should already be a symlink from your notebook directory to the fastai modules directory… If this isn’t working for you, please show what your directory structure looks like (e.g. the contents of pwd and ls -la in the directory where you notebook is).

(If you’re trying to use the packages in a different directory, just create a symlink there too)

1 Like

I have anaconda2 and anaconda3 installed at the same time. Will having them both ever cause problems? If so, I may just delete anaconda2 (I dont even know how to. This is environment thing really makes me nervous :sweat:)

I’ve just asked faculty whether they are ready to move to python3 or we should stick with python2 with remainder of this cohort. let’s see.

No having them both is fine. You can simply edit your PATH environment variable in .bash_profile (Mac) or .bashrc (Linux) to point at the one you want to use, and open a new terminal so it picks up the changes.

However, learning to switch python environments with conda is, whilst potentially a little scary at first, a valuable skill to practice, and I’d recommend using that approach instead. https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/tasks/manage-environments.html

1 Like

What was the Mozilla command we used in class yesterday to get the data from Kaggle? I can’t find any mention of it in the notes Tim posted. It was to cURL the download data or something

edit: nvm found it in Tim’s notes!

Also don’t forget you can use the lesson video to check stuff like that.

1 Like