Image size

Can Fastai v1 library handle rectangular images for training?

(Fred Guth) #2

what you mean? Rectangular or not is not a matter of the fastai library is a matter of the model you use/develop. You certainly can use rectangular images. The only problem is when you want to have rectangular images of different sizes due to the need to do operations in batch.

@fredguth, I believe the get_data function only takes 1 positional argument which forces a square? I was wondering whether a new function takes 2 so one could pass height and width?

You can pass a tuple for size, not just an int. Of course all your images will be resized to it to be collated in batches.

(Alejandro) #5

I have a dataset of all 50x900 (height x width) images. I tried sz=(50,900) but it gives me an error. Am I doing it wrong?

(Kevin Bird) #6

What error does it give you?

(Alejandro) #7

I did sz = (50,940) and I got TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /: ‘tuple’ and ‘int’

Getting the same error. Didn’t work for me either.

(Cynosure) #9

Anybody trained on rectangular images?

tfms = tfms_from_model(arch, sz_lr, tfm_y=TfmType.PIXEL,     aug_tfms=aug_tfms, sz_y=sz_hr)
datasets = ImageData.get_ds(MatchedFilesDataset, (trn_x,trn_y), (val_x,val_y), tfms, path=PATH_TRN)
md = ImageData(PATH, datasets, bs, num_workers=16, classes=None)

it seems one cannot create a dataset object without a tfms object and a tfms_from_model takes a mandatory second parameter of size, to which it crops the image making it square.

Any workaround to this?

Thanks,

The code you show above is for fastai 0.7.

(Cynosure) #11

any such example from newer version that would work with rectangular images?

i found this example but it also seem to restrict the image to a squared size of 32.

tfms = ([pad(padding=4), crop(size=32, row_pct=(0,1), col_pct=(0,1)),
    flip_lr(p=0.5)], [])
data = data_from_imagefolder('data/cifar10', valid='test',
    ds_tfms=tfms, tfms=cifar_norm)
learn = Learner(data, wrn_22(), metrics=accuracy).to_fp16()
learn.fit_one_cycle(25, wd=0.4)

If you look at the docs you’ll see that size can be a tuple.

(Cynosure) #13

thanks, will check that out.

(Cynosure) #14

I am trying to load my data. i have a images folder and a labels folder which contains npz files to be loaded via a function load_label which works fine.

labels_ls = list(map(load_label, train_listB[:5]))
tfms = get_transforms(do_flip=False)
data = ImageDataBunch.from_lists(dirpathB+"train_data/images/", train_f_listB[:5], labels=labels_ls, ds_tfms=tfms, size=(728,1024))

train_f_listB is a list containing training image file names. and dirpathB+“train_data/images/” contains those images.

the last line gives an error:
any idea whats wrong that i am doing here?

many thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-46-82ae4630b209> in <module>()
  1 labels_ls = list(map(load_label, train_listB[:5]))
  2 tfms = get_transforms(do_flip=False)
----> 3 data = ImageDataBunch.from_lists(dirpathB+"train_data/images/", train_f_listB[:5], labels=labels_ls, ds_tfms=tfms, size=(728,1024))

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/vision/data.py in from_lists(cls, path, fnames, labels, valid_pct, **kwargs)
139     def from_lists(cls, path:PathOrStr, fnames:FilePathList, labels:Collection[str], valid_pct:float=0.2, **kwargs):
140         "Create from list of `fnames` in `path`."
--> 141         src = ImageItemList(fnames, path=path).random_split_by_pct(valid_pct).label_from_list(labels)
142         return cls.create_from_ll(src, **kwargs)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/data_block.py in _inner(*args, **kwargs)
391             self.valid = fv(*args, **kwargs)
392             self.__class__ = LabelLists
--> 393             self.process()
394             return self
395         return _inner

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self)
438         "Process the inner datasets."
439         xp,yp = self.get_processors()
--> 440         for i,ds in enumerate(self.lists): ds.process(xp, yp, filter_missing_y=i==0)
441         return self

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self, xp, yp, filter_missing_y)
563     def process(self, xp=None, yp=None, filter_missing_y:bool=False):
564         "Launch the processing on `self.x` and `self.y` with `xp` and `yp`."
--> 565         self.y.process(yp)
566         if filter_missing_y and (getattr(self.x, 'filter_missing_y', None)):
567             filt = array([o is None for o in self.y])

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self, processor)
 66         if processor is not None: self.processor = processor
 67         self.processor = listify(self.processor)
---> 68         for p in self.processor: p.process(self)
 69         return self

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self, ds)
282     def process(self, ds):
--> 283         if self.classes is None: self.create_classes(self.generate_classes(ds.items))
284         ds.classes = self.classes
285         ds.c2i = self.c2i

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai/data_block.py in generate_classes(self, items)
325         "Generate classes from `items` by taking the sorted unique values."
326         classes = set()
--> 327         for c in items: classes = classes.union(set(c))
328         classes = list(classes)
329         classes.sort()

TypeError: unhashable type: 'numpy.ndarray'

(Cynosure) #15

well, it seems i need to create my own data set for this.

https://docs.fast.ai/data_block.html

(jaideep v) #16

Hi…
It is able to take the tuple. But it dsnt honors the tuple ,still does square resize

I see you filed an issue, will look at it later today.