Beginner: Using Colab or Kaggle ✅

If you have any questions about getting things working in Colab or Kaggle Notebooks, please post them here.

2 Likes

Anybody else seeing Kaggle notebook spin for 10 mins and counting just doing the pip install?

4 Likes

I think you have internet disabled inside the notebook-could you please enable, restart the notebook and try again please?

2 Likes

@jwuq this is uncommon. I would reload the page and rerun the notebook

1 Like

How do you enable internet inside the notebook?

1 Like

Thanks @init_27 - I have to phone verify my account to get GPU and internet. Hopefully that’ll sort it out

3 Likes
  1. Please toggle the sidebar (its next to the “save version” button)
  2. Please enable internet here and also select GPU in the accelerator options for faster training speeds :smiley:
5 Likes

Any tips :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Are you installing locally or is this from Kaggle?

On Kaggle in Chrome on Windows.

It should still run fine, I had the same warnings on kaggle and just ignored them.

3 Likes

FYI, I’ve added this to the top of the notebook now so people will know about this issue in the future:

18 Likes

I got the same error. I re-ran the cell and it ran fine. I think this can be ignored.

1 Like

Thanks!

If anyone is having trouble running pip install fastai in a Kaggle kernel, getting errors complaining about Temporary failure in name resolution (or a connectivity error), make sure your Internet is switched to on under Settings in the right-hand menu:

If you don’t see the option for turning on Internet under Settings, it’s because the new account requires phone verification.

Hope that helps someone :+1:

8 Likes

it is pre-installed in kaggle…

Someone sent me a question about how to deal with this error when running a notebook in Kaggle:

The answer is - don’t worry about it. It’s just a bunch of spurious warnings which you can ignore. You’ll find that the latest version of fastai has gotten installed successfully, despite pip’s big red “ERROR”!

7 Likes

Hey guys, I was trying last week to run a notebook through Kaggle, but it seems as if I need to verify my account with a phone number (but it didn’t work for me, tried contacting Kaggle but haven’t heard back yet). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Yeah this is a new thing they added, everyone needs to be verified on Kaggle to use some features like Internet connection in Kaggle Notebooks.

2 Likes

Yes, Javi. This is normal if you want internet connectivity and GPU usage.

2 Likes