Get_preds() error with only one sample, multiple identical samples or multiple different short samples: ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence

Version: fastai==2.3.0

I am new to fastai, and I am trying to get predictions on some text data with a previously trained model. When I tokenize and infer on my pandas DataFrame containing multiple records with different texts, the inference runs fine. However, if I run it with only one sample, or with multiple samples that are the exact same text, or with multiple different but short samples, I am getting an error from get_preds() that I believe is arising from when fastai is trying to iterate over my data. I have tried changing the batch size in my dataloader to see if that solves the problem, to no avail. Here is the code I am using with a batch size (bs) of 1 set in my dataloader:

from fastai.text.all import *

learner = load_learner(model_path, cpu=False)

# Tokenize DataFrame
tok_inf_df = tokenize_df(**test**, "response")
# Get tokenized part (not Counter of subwords)
inf_dl = learner.dls.test_dl(tok_inf_df[0], num_workers=0, bs=1)

all_predictions = learner.get_preds(dl=inf_dl, reorder=False)
all_predictions

When I run this code with the following test data, with two different samples, it runs fine:

test = pd.DataFrame([[100, 'This will start the debugging session immediately when you run the cell. What that means is that you would want to use some of the commands that pdb supports to step into the code and examine the function or variables as needed.'],
                     [200, 'In this chapter we learned of several different methods that you can use to debug the code in your Jupyter Notebook. I personally prefer to use Pythons pdb module, but you can use the IPython.core.debugger to get the same functionality and it could be better if you prefer to have syntax highlighting.']], columns=['response_index', 'response'])

# Tokenize DataFrame
tok_inf_df = tokenize_df(test, "response")
# Get tokenized part (not Counter of subwords)
inf_dl = learner.dls.test_dl(tok_inf_df[0], num_workers=0, bs=1)

all_predictions = learner.get_preds(dl=inf_dl, reorder=False)
all_predictions

Out[24]: (tensor([[6.5851e-02, 2.1294e-03, 5.7879e-04, 2.3800e-01, 6.3660e-01],
         [8.2862e-02, 3.3055e-03, 1.6065e-03, 1.7200e-01, 7.2442e-01]]),
 None)

However, in all of the following cases, I get an error. Here are the cases of test data I am trying:

One text:

test = pd.DataFrame([[100, 'This will start the debugging session immediately when you run the cell. What that means is that you would want to use some of the commands that pdb supports to step into the code and examine the function or variables as needed.']], columns=['response_index', 'response'])

Two similar texts:

test = pd.DataFrame([[100, 'This will start the debugging session immediately when you run the cell. What that means is that you would want to use some of the commands that pdb supports to step into the code and examine the function or variables as needed.'],
                     [200, 'This will start the debugging session immediately when you run the cell. What that means is that you would want to use some of the commands that pdb supports to step into the code and examine the function or variables as needed.']], columns=['response_index', 'response'])

Three similar texts:

[200, 'This will start the debugging session immediately when you run the cell. What that means is that you would want to use some of the commands that pdb supports to step into the code and examine the function or variables as needed.'],
                    [300, 'This will start the debugging session immediately when you run the cell. What that means is that you would want to use some of the commands that pdb supports to step into the code and examine the function or variables as needed.']], columns=['response_index', 'response'])

Two different, but short texts:

test = pd.DataFrame([[100, 'go away'],
                     [200, 'come here']], columns=['response_index', 'response'])

And here is the full stack trace of the error:

------------------------------------| 0.00% [0/2 00:00<?]
ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<command-4247368361270238> in <module>
----> 1 all_predictions = learner.get_preds(dl=inf_dl, reorder=False)
      2 all_predictions

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in get_preds(self, ds_idx, dl, with_input, with_decoded, with_loss, act, inner, reorder, cbs, **kwargs)
    242         if with_loss: ctx_mgrs.append(self.loss_not_reduced())
    243         with ContextManagers(ctx_mgrs):
--> 244             self._do_epoch_validate(dl=dl)
    245             if act is None: act = getattr(self.loss_func, 'activation', noop)
    246             res = cb.all_tensors()

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _do_epoch_validate(self, ds_idx, dl)
    192         if dl is None: dl = self.dls[ds_idx]
    193         self.dl = dl
--> 194         with torch.no_grad(): self._with_events(self.all_batches, 'validate', CancelValidException)
    196     def _do_epoch(self):

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final)
    159     def _with_events(self, f, event_type, ex, final=noop):
--> 160         try: self(f'before_{event_type}');  f()
    161         except ex: self(f'after_cancel_{event_type}')
    162         self(f'after_{event_type}');  final()

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/learner.py in all_batches(self)
    164     def all_batches(self):
    165         self.n_iter = len(self.dl)
--> 166         for o in enumerate(self.dl): self.one_batch(*o)
    168     def _do_one_batch(self):

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/data/load.py in __iter__(self)
    107         self.before_iter()
    108         self.__idxs=self.get_idxs() # called in context of main process (not workers/subprocesses)
--> 109         for b in _loaders[self.fake_l.num_workers==0](self.fake_l):
    110             # fix issue 2899. If the process start method isn't fork, the data will be copied to cuda in learner one_batch.
    111             if self.device is not None and multiprocessing.get_start_method().lower() == "fork":

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in __next__(self)
    433         if self._sampler_iter is None:
    434             self._reset()
--> 435         data = self._next_data()
    436         self._num_yielded += 1
    437         if self._dataset_kind == _DatasetKind.Iterable and \

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/dataloader.py in _next_data(self)
    473     def _next_data(self):
    474         index = self._next_index()  # may raise StopIteration
--> 475         data = self._dataset_fetcher.fetch(index)  # may raise StopIteration
    476         if self._pin_memory:
    477             data = _utils.pin_memory.pin_memory(data)

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/torch/utils/data/_utils/fetch.py in fetch(self, possibly_batched_index)
     32                 raise StopIteration
     33         else:
---> 34             data = next(self.dataset_iter)
     35         return self.collate_fn(data)

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/data/load.py in create_batches(self, samps)
    118         if self.dataset is not None: self.it = iter(self.dataset)
    119         res = filter(lambda o:o is not None, map(self.do_item, samps))
--> 120         yield from map(self.do_batch, self.chunkify(res))
    122     def new(self, dataset=None, cls=None, **kwargs):

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/data/load.py in do_batch(self, b)
    144         else: raise IndexError("Cannot index an iterable dataset numerically - must use `None`.")
    145     def create_batch(self, b): return (fa_collate,fa_convert)[self.prebatched](b)
--> 146     def do_batch(self, b): return self.retain(self.create_batch(self.before_batch(b)), b)
    147     def to(self, device): self.device = device
    148     def one_batch(self):

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/transform.py in __call__(self, o)
    198         self.fs = self.fs.sorted(key='order')
--> 200     def __call__(self, o): return compose_tfms(o, tfms=self.fs, split_idx=self.split_idx)
    201     def __repr__(self): return f"Pipeline: {' -> '.join([f.name for f in self.fs if f.name != 'noop'])}"
    202     def __getitem__(self,i): return self.fs[i]

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastcore/transform.py in compose_tfms(x, tfms, is_enc, reverse, **kwargs)
    148     for f in tfms:
    149         if not is_enc: f = f.decode
--> 150         x = f(x, **kwargs)
    151     return x

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/text/data.py in __call__(self, b, **kwargs)
    170         self.max_len = max([x.shape[0] for xs in b for x in xs if isinstance(x,TensorText)])
    171     def __call__(self, b, **kwargs):
--> 172         self.before_call(b)
    173         return super().__call__(tuple(b), **kwargs)
    174     def encodes(self, x:TensorText):

/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-fb8777ce-4e3a-4b30-a336-9afb5ab86d92/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastai/text/data.py in before_call(self, b)
    168     def before_call(self, b):
    169         "Set `self.max_len` before encodes"
--> 170         self.max_len = max([x.shape[0] for xs in b for x in xs if isinstance(x,TensorText)])
    171     def __call__(self, b, **kwargs):
    172         self.before_call(b)

ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence

Iā€™m not sure where to go from here because I am unable to debug further in my environment. Is this a problem with my model, or something else?

1 Like