[Feature Requests] for nbdev

My primary place for deep learning experiments & development is Colab. It’d have been a great trouble if I was willing to build a library and nbdev wasn’t there. It has augmented my productivity by a lot. I’m currently working on a project called fast_impl which is the collection Deep Learning applications and implementation of papers; I’m building a utility library on top of fastai2 along the way.

These are some of the features I’d like to see in the nbdev. Comments and criticism is welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

1. Support for notebooks in sub-directories
    You can look at the current hierarchy of my repository. A better example could be http://d2l.ai 's hierarchy. nbdev was meant to enable development through notebooks and organizing them in sub-directories is always a good idea when no. of notebooks grow tremendously. This also enables keeping associated files in that directory, for instance a ‘.csv’ file, images that are related to a group of notebooks only.

2. Ability to maintain separate README for PyPi package and the repository
    I’m in the process of implementing research papers, tutorials etc. and I want to maintain a comprehensive README that will help you navigating the repository, but I don’t want to include all these details on PyPi description.

3. Update index.ipynb ← README.md
    There’s a script to update notebooks from source code (nbdev_build_lib if I’m not wrong), I’m also looking doing the same with markdown files. Personally, I like to use separate editor for markdown files, but updating a README with this doesn’t change the index.ipynb, rather overwrites the README when I run nbdev_build_lib

(Consider the following as secondary requirements and putting them here just for the discussion)

1. Automated symlinks in the subdirectories
    When sub-directories will be supported, the next challenge would be the need to create symlinks to library in each and every-folder. Also, I’m not sure if images from the subdirectories will get copied to the docs folder and if it seems easier to copy them from one place, we need a symlink for ‘images’ folder as well. A handy nbdev_script for this would be appreciated!

2. __init__.py vs all.py
    I’ve seen repositories maintaining __init__.py to enable “import *” but I’m not sure why fastai2 uses all.py. If this is the necessity, can this be automated ? Like generating all.py for your library and a tag to exclude any module you don’t want to be imported with that.

3. Cleanup certain cells from notebook itself (for colab)
    Working on a colab notebook and using that with git repository is already a quite tedious process. I’m not complaining about that, but there’re some shell commands, scripts, pip installs that I need to do every time before starting to work. I need to maintain those cells on colab notebook, but are not required in the notebook that I’ll put on git repository, so every time when I download that notebook from colab to upload on github, I need to open that notebook, remove certain cells and then commit the changes. I’m aware of #hide tag that skip such cells for docs, but I need them to be removed from notebook itself