Export a tabular model to onnx

I have been trying to export a tabular model trained with fast.ai to the onnx format (needed for deployment). I have tried various versions of this:

target = torch.empty(1,512, dtype=torch.long, requires_grad=False).random_(28).cuda()
torch.onnx.export(learner.model, target, "/home/scott/model.onnx", verbose=True, export_params=True, operator_export_type=torch.onnx.OperatorExportTypes.ONNX_ATEN_FALLBACK)

some also have:
learner.model.eval()

But all of the variations I try get the same error:

TypeError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
1 target = torch.empty(1,512, dtype=torch.long, requires_grad=False).random_(28).cuda()
----> 2 torch.onnx.export(learner.model, target, “/home/scott/model.onnx”, verbose=True, export_params=True, operator_export_type=torch.onnx.OperatorExportTypes.ONNX_ATEN_FALLBACK)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/onnx/init.py in export(model, args, f, export_params, verbose, training, input_names, output_names, aten, export_raw_ir, operator_export_type, opset_version, _retain_param_name, do_constant_folding, example_outputs, strip_doc_string, dynamic_axes, keep_initializers_as_inputs)
141 operator_export_type, opset_version, _retain_param_name,
142 do_constant_folding, example_outputs,
–> 143 strip_doc_string, dynamic_axes, keep_initializers_as_inputs)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/onnx/utils.py in export(model, args, f, export_params, verbose, training, input_names, output_names, aten, export_raw_ir, operator_export_type, opset_version, _retain_param_name, do_constant_folding, example_outputs, strip_doc_string, dynamic_axes, keep_initializers_as_inputs)
64 _retain_param_name=_retain_param_name, do_constant_folding=do_constant_folding,
65 example_outputs=example_outputs, strip_doc_string=strip_doc_string,
—> 66 dynamic_axes=dynamic_axes, keep_initializers_as_inputs=keep_initializers_as_inputs)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/onnx/utils.py in _export(model, args, f, export_params, verbose, training, input_names, output_names, operator_export_type, export_type, example_outputs, propagate, opset_version, _retain_param_name, do_constant_folding, strip_doc_string, dynamic_axes, keep_initializers_as_inputs, fixed_batch_size)
380 example_outputs, propagate,
381 _retain_param_name, do_constant_folding,
–> 382 fixed_batch_size=fixed_batch_size)
384 # TODO: Don’t allocate a in-memory string for the protobuf

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/onnx/utils.py in _model_to_graph(model, args, verbose, training, input_names, output_names, operator_export_type, example_outputs, propagate, _retain_param_name, do_constant_folding, _disable_torch_constant_prop, fixed_batch_size)
247 model.graph, tuple(in_vars), False, propagate)
248 else:
–> 249 graph, torch_out = _trace_and_get_graph_from_model(model, args, training)
250 state_dict = _unique_state_dict(model)
251 params = list(state_dict.values())

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/onnx/utils.py in _trace_and_get_graph_from_model(model, args, training)
204 # training mode was.)
205 with set_training(model, training):
–> 206 trace, torch_out, inputs_states = torch.jit.get_trace_graph(model, args, _force_outplace=True, _return_inputs_states=True)
207 warn_on_static_input_change(inputs_states)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/jit/init.py in get_trace_graph(f, args, kwargs, _force_outplace, return_inputs, _return_inputs_states)
273 if not isinstance(args, tuple):
274 args = (args,)
–> 275 return LegacyTracedModule(f, _force_outplace, return_inputs, _return_inputs_states)(*args, **kwargs)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in call(self, *input, **kwargs)
539 result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
540 else:
–> 541 result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
542 for hook in self._forward_hooks.values():
543 hook_result = hook(self, input, result)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/jit/init.py in forward(self, *args)
350 # for now.
351 inputs_states = _unflatten(all_trace_inputs[:len(in_vars)], in_desc)
–> 352 out = self.inner(*trace_inputs)
353 if self._return_inputs_states:
354 inputs_states = (inputs_states, trace_inputs)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in call(self, *input, **kwargs)
537 input = result
538 if torch._C._get_tracing_state():
–> 539 result = self._slow_forward(*input, **kwargs)
540 else:
541 result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)

~/system/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/module.py in _slow_forward(self, *input, **kwargs)
523 tracing_state._traced_module_stack.append(self)
524 try:
–> 525 result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
526 finally:
527 tracing_state.pop_scope()

TypeError: forward() missing 1 required positional argument: ‘x_cont’

Has anyone got any thoughts on how I might be able to do this?

If you’re using fastai2, use fastinference, my sublibrary. There is a to_onnx function added to Learner which will export it for you. If not, see the source here:

The main bits is notice the input names

Its currently using fastai 1, but I have no objection to converting it to use fast ai 2, is it easy? Are there any tutorials on whats changed?

I love the new API personally. I made a study group/course with tutorial notebooks for almost any scenario (text is in development). See the Walk with fatai2 pinned topics on the #fastai-users:fastai-v2 forum.

Re:v1, the steps are still the same, however I think bs is batch_size and dls would be .train_dl

I’ve been using the exercise of exporting a TabularLearner model to ONNX and trying to use it in a serverless way in onnxjs as a learning exercise.

The model that I have has no categorical variables and has 30 continuous ones. I’ve successfully exported to ONNX format and I can get it to do inference in Python. But on onnxjs it bombs on BatchNormalization layers. Like so:

As best I can understand it’s because the BatchNorm op in ONNX expects at least 3 dimensions https://github.com/microsoft/onnxjs/blob/master/lib/ops/batch-normalization.ts#L38 and the TabularModel only has two. This github issue suggests a solution, but I don’t fully understand it yet: https://github.com/microsoft/onnxjs/issues/154

This is what my model looks like in ONNX from your fastinference library:

I can get onnxjs to work IF I neuter the model of all BatchNorm layers with tabular_config like so:

config=tabular_config(bn_cont=False, bn_final=False, use_bn=False)

But that doesn’t feel satisfying. So I’m wondering if you have any guidance.

Here’s a simple demo of it failing: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pup-models/onnx-demo.html

Thanks!
Andy

And for completeness here’s a demo of gutted model without any BatchNorm-ing that works: https://s3.amazonaws.com/pup-models/onnx-demo-v1.html

The exported ONNX network looks like this:

NOTE I just used PyTorch’s export instead of fastinference for that one.

Andy

I have no experience with ONNX Js, I just know that the non spacial is supported in regular and runtime from what I can see. Sorry I can’t be more help.

Hi @muellerzr

I can’t find to_onnx in the links you’ve given. Could you give me the source code or a version of fastinference that includes this function?