Error when calling parallel function on two learners

I have two learners in which I am trying to call get_preds(). Calling them alone takes too much time, and I am trying to use the parallel function to call them at the same time.

from fastai import *
from fastai.core import parallel
from fastai.text import * 

learner0 = load_learner('./ulmfit_0/')
learner1 = load_learner('./ulmfit_1/')

def get_preds(learner,index):
    return learner.get_preds(DatasetType.Test,ordered=True)

def parallelize_preds(func,learners):
    return parallel(func, learners)

def main():
    learner0.data.add_test(values)
    learner1.data.add_test(values)

preds = parallelize_preds(get_preds,[learner0,learner1])
    preds0 = [i[1].item() for i in preds[0][0]]
    preds1 = [i[1].item() for i in preds[1][0]]

if __name__ == "__main__":    
    main()

When I run the above code, I receive the following error:

_pickle.PicklingError: Can't pickle <function get_preds at 0x7fc4835e8510>: attribute lookup get_preds on __main__ failed

After receiving the error, the script also hangs and doesn’t finish without stopping the kernel.
Is this a problem with my code, or is the parallel function not able to be used with a learner object?

I also tried parallelizing the two lines

learner0.data.add_test(values)
learner1.data.add_test(values)

in a similar way as I did above with get_preds. This also failed, so if you have any suggestions in how to parallelize these, please let me know.

Edit:

After further investigation, I was able to produce a more specific error message:

File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/queues.py”, line 234, in _feed
obj = _ForkingPickler.dumps(obj)
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/reduction.py”, line 51, in dumps
cls(buf, protocol).dump(obj)
AttributeError: Can’t pickle local object ‘TextClasDataBunch.create..’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/queues.py”, line 234, in _feed
obj = _ForkingPickler.dumps(obj)
File “/home/ec2-user/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/multiprocessing/reduction.py”, line 51, in dumps
cls(buf, protocol).dump(obj)
AttributeError: Can’t pickle local object ‘TextClasDataBunch.create.locals.lambda’

It seems the issue lies with the following line found in the TextClasDataBunch class:

train_sampler = SortishSampler(datasets[0].x, key=lambda t: len(datasets[0][t][0].data), bs=bs)

Python can’t pickle a lambda function with the pickle module, so I tried importing dill to circumvent this. However that didn’t work either. I also tried going into the source code and defining the function, but I received the same error.

1 Like

I have also a similar error Can't pickle local object 'Learner.get_preds.<locals>.<lambda>'