@jeremy if this isn’t an appropriate title or the post, feel free to move or remove If folks want to edit and clarify any points below, I think that would be helpful for everyone to be in the best position possible before class on 10/30.
Day Zero Checklist
… or, what you should have ready to go by day 1 of class:
A development environment for machine learning (AWS, Paperspace, and/or your own rig)
- Pros: What your employer is likely using, special treats (maybe), heavily documented.
- Cons: More expensive, inferior GPUs (for now)
- Pros: Easy to use, GUI or Terminal views, better GPUs than AWS, a fast.ai VM ready for use, $15 credits
- Cons: Less flexible than AWS, more expensive in the long run than own machine
- Pros: Easiest to use, all fast.ai software installed and ready to use, can switch between cheap non-GPU and full GPU instance quickly
- Cons: A bit slower than other options; no ability to ssh directly in (although can use web-based terminal)
Your own machine
- Pros: Can be configured with superior hardware to cloud options, cheaper in long run.
- Cons: Difficult to set up, more expensive upfront