CNN training significantly slower with Fastai V1.0 than V0.7

I’ve just started experimenting with the V1 library, and I’m finding it much slower to train an image classifier than it was with the V0.7 codebase.

I have a dataset of 2000 images that I’m doing binary classification with. I previously trained a model using the old V0.7 fast.ai code (CNN Learner pretrained with ResNet34) and it’s very fast. 1 epoch takes a couple seconds.

Now I’m using the same dataset in V1.0, again with the cnn_learner class and ResNet34, and 1 training epoch is taking ~1:30.

Example V0.7 Code
data = ImageClassifierData.from_paths(PATH, tfms=tfms_from_model(arch, sz), bs=BATCH_SIZE,
trn_name=‘train’, val_name=‘valid’, num_workers=0)

learn = ConvLearner.pretrained(arch, data, precompute=True)
learn.fit(LR, NUM_EPOCHS)

Example V1.0 Code
data = ImageDataBunch.from_folder(IMG_PATH, size=IMG_SIZE,
bs=BATCH_SIZE).normalize(imagenet_stats)
learn = cnn_learner(data, models.resnet34, metrics=accuracy)
learn.fit(NUM_EPOCHS, lr=LR)

Some additional information:

1. Both are definitely running on my GPU
  2. Maybe this has something to do with the transformations/precompute? I haven’t added that into my V1.0 trial yet.

Thank you for any help.

There is no precompute in V1 as it’s incompatible with data augmentation and was confusing beginners a lot (difference between precompute and pretrained was misunderstood). That’s why you have a difference of times.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you. I’m looking at a 20x slowdown with my application. Are there any workarounds you’d recommend so I can iterate more quickly?