Bus error attempting to import fastai.transforms in lesson 1

Hello. I’m getting an odd error when I run
>>> from fastai.transforms import *
on my paperspace fast.ai machine. Python crashes with a bus error (Bus error (core dumped)). I first contacted paperspace to make sure it wasn’t a known issue or hardware configuration issue on their end (seeing as how it’s a bus error), but they said it wasn’t anything they were aware of. I went through the paperspace configuration tutorial several times to make sure I didn’t miss anything, all my packages are up to date, I’m within the fastai environment, and I’m able to replicate the error after trying pretty much everything I could think of.

I know this is a strange error, and the core dump is not in the local directory. I researched apport, which is how Ubuntu seems to handle core dumps, but after a while it occurred to me that low level core debugging of a bus error is unlikely to be very much help. So I apologize for being unable to provide more information, and if the only solution offered is “wipe clean and start over” that’s totally reasonable. Thanks for taking the time reading this.

Hi Fubster.

I am having the same problem, but I am using linux mint 18.3 where Cuda 9.0 and CuDNN v7.1.2.
I have everything inside /usr/local/cuda like the documentation said but every time I try to import torch I face the same problem.

I believe the solution is to install my Operating System again.