I run mlcontests.com, and we aggregate ML competitions across Kaggle and other platforms.
We’ve just finished our analysis of 83 competitions in 2021, and what winners did.
- Kaggle still dominant with a third of all competitions and half of $2.7m total prize money
- 67 of the competitions took place on the top 5 platforms (Kaggle, AIcrowd, Tianchi, DrivenData, and Zindi), but there were 8 competitions which took place on platforms which only ran one competition last year.
- Almost all winners used Python - 1 used C++!
- 77% of Deep Learning solutions used PyTorch (up from 72% last year)
- All winning computer vision solutions we found used CNNs
- All winning NLP solutions we found used Transformers
More details here: https://blog.mlcontests.com/p/winning-at-competitive-ml-in-2022?. Subscribe to get similar future updates!
If you’d like to support this research, please check out my other project comparing cloud GPU providers.