Troubleshooting my Hardware

Hi. I’m having issues with my hardware, in the sense that the GPUs seem to be not properly fed by the rest of my hardware pipeline.

The machine in question is a Xeon 2630v2, 24Gb RAM, 500Gb NVMe drive, one 1080ti and one 1070.

Look at what happens:

cuda

The following are screencasts of the training process alongside continuous updates of nvidia-smi. Below, you can see the load over the CPU during the same process. Please note GPU-util column for GPU0: It idles for most of the time, and occasionally peaks at low percentages

[NOTE: right-click the animated GIF and select “open in a new tab”, otherwise it’s barely readable]

CPU

CPUGIF

As you may see, the CPU is not fully loaded, so I don’t think it’s the bottleneck. Check. There is plenty of free memory. Check. And I cannot believe that a NVMe drive cannot properly feed a GPU. Check. Same story with the 1070.

Any suggestion?

1 Like

To use Multiples GPU first we need to wrap the model on DataParallel. But will also lead to another problem. Overheat of one of the GPUs.

You can read more about this behavior between PyTorch and DataParallel on this Blog:

Also take a look on the reply of professor @jeremy about Multi-GPU.

Thanks for your reply.

My problem, though, is of different nature. I don’t want to use multiple GPUs (I use them for running different nbs in parallel).

My problem is that even a single GPU is not properly exploited.

Ok, so are you working with fast.ai library or a custom code in pure pytorch ?
That’s not clear to me.

Also depending from the version of pytorch are you using , this method bellow is discouraged in favor of device

torch.cuda.set_device(0)  

example of device

device = ("cuda:0" if torch.cuda.is_available() else "cpu")

model.to(device)

Btw , you could clearly isolate each GPU using containers and creating the same environment in both of them and pointing to the same shared folder of your project

1 Like

I am working in fastai 0.7 as of yet (watch the video, it will be clear from context).

All the rest of your answer contains useful information, but please note that I don’t care about multiple GPUs. I just want one GPU to be properly used. Pretend my system just has one GPU.

Better to leave out containers and similar stuff for now, and concentrate about isolating the problem. We have the GPU idling during training, and no apparent bottlenecks in CPU/ram/hard drive. Something else is going awry, but I’ve been unable to figure it out.

Hi again @balnazzar,

Leaving out the context of Multi-GPUs, and also the containers and focusing on the claim that your GPU is not filling the memory as you like
Have you tried to use some of this tools to prove it ?
Because watch nvidia System Management Interface, its not the same as Profiling Tools

My problem is that even a single GPU is not properly exploited .

Also what version of driver, cuda and cudnn are you using ? There is a bunch of specifications you just leaved out from your first question. How can anybody predict whats your problem based an animated gif ?

1 Like

It could be you’re just not pushing the GPU enough. It looks like you’re only using about 1.2 GB of memory on the GPU. I don’t know what your learner is but if layers are frozen that takes a huge load off the GPU. I would try upping the batch size to a point where most of the GPU memory is used and (if applicable) unfreezing the model to see if that increases GPU usage.

1 Like

The issue is not just about memory. In that video you can appreciate the GPU utilization oscillates between 0% and 40% even as we fit the model with precompute=False.

Furthermore, I think that these profiling tools are intended for people who want to write cuda C code, but correct me if I make mistakes here.

You are absolutely right, I should have provided these informations from the beginning. The screenshot below rectifies this:

1 Like

Thank you. Indeed, just the two trailing fully convolutional were involved in the training process. But it seems awkward nonetheless that the GPU is not fully leveraged for training such layers as quickly as possible.

I was a bit worried since this is a freshly assembled machine. Let’s try and train the whole network. But just for the sake of curiosity, you guys could experiment with a frozen network, and see what nvidia-smi reports about gpu utilization.

Thanks!

Hi again @balnazzar,
Some of this tools can be used to profile your memory CPU and GPU, I just does not have the code in hand for you, but you can find out there if you will. Also apparently is nothing wrong with the drivers and versions you have, at least what I should know about it.

I understand you want that 99.99% of your CPU and GPU be filled by the computation you need, but before this kind of thing can happen Nvidia has a lot of work to do for CUTLASS package is still in its infancy while this same kind of packages for CPU already exists. Other package I know about could be used to get better performance is MAGMA but Pytorch does not use it

So for now each neural network computation and space in memory is limited by the NN architecture and the batch training size. If you send a batch with lower volume of data will compute. If you send a batch volume with 1 bit over it will just throw a Cuda Error: Out Of Memory of Hell! because you just have to start everything again, unless you have some snapshots of your training. (I don’t even know if fast.ai have this implemented or if it will implement in the future).

1 Like

I’d be content with the GPU almost fully exploited. AFAIK, no more than 1 CPU thread is exploited for each GPU.

Ok mates, it seems I was complaining for nothing.

• I tested both my GPUs with the network unfrozen, and the occupation reached almost 100% with peaks of power draw well over the nominal TDP.
  • I ran the same notebook on a much more powerful machine with Volta GPUs, and it showed the same behaviour: very low occupation while training the FC layers with all the rest frozen.

If you want a brief benchmark, the 1080ti completed those 10 epochs in 2min 22s, while Volta did it in 1min 51s (both in FP32).

I also bothered you all for nothing, but let’s hope this thread will be useful to other people incurring in the same doubts. Thanks!

2 Likes

You might be interested in this command too:

watch -n 1 nvidia-smi

It gives you updated information without having to keep running the command manually.

1 Like

An useful piece of information, thanks! :wink:

Hi again, @balnazzar

As I mentioned earlier you can profile your GPU processing from Pytorch:

Documentation:

torch.autograd.profiler.profile
torch.autograd.profiler.emit_nvtx
torch.autograd.profiler.load_nvprof
nvidia-tools-extension-nvtx

Another useful information is cuda-memory-management :

PyTorch uses a caching memory allocator to speed up memory allocations. This allows fast memory deallocation without device synchronizations. However, the unused memory managed by the allocator will still show as if used in nvidia-smi .

Analysis Tools

To be able to do that you need to save the jupyter script into a python script so the profile can identify you GPU correctly

Nvidia Profiler

nvprof --profile-from-start off -o training.prof -f -- python3 script.py

Nvidia Visual Profiler

nvvp training.prof

Or this one:

Nvidia Nsight-Systems

Code Used in the Screen Shots

Now is up to you choose the way to analyse your GPU and code :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks, @willismar! I think this thead will definitely prove itself useful despite my unjustified worries! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok mates, I solved my problem in the most brutal way: formatted & reinstalled everything from scratch. It worked.

Read it as “I don’t know where the blame should be put upon, but fastai library was blameless”. Still a process in R state which ignores sigkills remains a wonder for me.

Thanks for all your (quite informative) advices.

1 Like

Hi…

Wow man, that’s sucks… but I am glad you did.
If you like the idea use Containers, because its ephemeral and you almost never will have to touch your host.

well its only one ideia. :wink:

Yes but I’ve heard, from Jeremy hisself among others, that nvidia-docker poses some performance issues.