Study groups in SF

I’m running an informal “study group” every week day from 10am to 6pm at USF (101 Howard St, Room 153). I won’t be doing any mentoring of students myself (I’ll be busy prepping the next week’s course!) but I will be sharing my screen and maybe sometimes talking a bit about what I’m doing, and will give out coding challenges for anyone interested in contributing. I’ve created a google doc summarizing current projects.

More importantly, you can do joint projects with other students there, and get/give peer-to-peer help. To help you know who is around each day, what people are working on, and what project groups exist, I’ve created this spreadsheet. I’ve left the spreadsheet entirely up to you all to set up as you see fit - or if you want to set up some other approach to organize projects, feel free! (I’ve made this a wiki post, so you can add additional information here directly.)

We’ll have room 153 from 10am - 6pm throughout the course except on the dates listed below:

• USF is closed on March 30 - Good Friday (no building access)
  • April 11 - room 454
  • April 27 - room 454.

This is available for both in-person students as well as international fellows that are visiting SF.

32 Likes

That’s awesome idea… It will be nice opportunity to contribute to fastai and learning stuffs at the same time…:grinning:

1 Like

Great, I’d really like to get involved and start contributing to the library, looking forward to some beginner friendly challenges to get started with first PR’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great news! Looking forward for a group to participate in project as international fellow :slight_smile:
I wonder if anyone is interested in Q learning practice?

Is the first study group interaction on 03/19/2018 at 10 am PST or 03/20/2018 at 10 am PST?

1 Like

I am interested. waiting for the details

1 Like

Monday 03/19/2018 at 10 am PST. Waiting for confirmation, but should be room 153.

6 Likes

Perfect…can’t wait to get started. I’m looking forward to meeting all of you!

1 Like

Room is confirmed. We’ll have room 153 from 10am - 6pm throughout the course except on the dates listed below.

• USF is closed on March 30 - Good Friday (no building access)
  • April 11 - room 454
  • April 27 - room 527
3 Likes

Hey @jeremy, I read above that international fellows will also have access to study groups, thanks for this. Just one query, will there be a livestream for the whole duration i.e. (10 am to 6 pm) or I am misinterpreting something ??

No live stream - some international fellows are traveling to SF for the period of the course.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

Awesome, looking forward to this already!

One thing I want to contribute is to comment and annotate the fast.ai library.

But from Jeremy’s video, it seems like he thinks they’re fairly self explanatory and does not need to be annotated. To some extend, it’s true, but when one has a mental block, one can not remember what wd is even if one’s life depend on it.

@jeremy: Shall I start this quest or is this going to be a undesirable/futile pull request?

1 Like

I apologize if I gave that impression - I would love to see better documentation of the library. There was a recent github issue about exactly this FYI.

2 Likes

Wow I wish I could stay in SF for the whole course. I’m based in NYC but I will try to drop a visit at least once and spend time grokking with everyone.

1 Like

Just confirming… This will be at the downtown campus at 101 Howard St right?

That’s right.

I’m recovering from a few weeks of flu so I won’t be speaking much tomorrow during the day, so my voice is saved for class - apologies in advance…

1 Like

If you arrive before me (I won’t be there until a bit after 10), please just introduce yourself to the other folks there, make yourself comfortable, and get to work! :slight_smile:

I’ve added a spreadsheet link to the top post in this thread where you can organize projects. I’ve also made the top post a wiki so you can use it to add any information that might be useful to other students.

1 Like

I’d love to go but unfortunately I have work during the day. I would go to evening study sessions if there are any.