Should the `dep_var` be in `test_df` for `tabular_data_from_df`?

EDIT: I forgot to add in the line of code that brought this error:

data = tabular_data_from_df('./', train_df, valid_df, dep_var, test_df=df_test, tfms=tfms, cat_names=cat_names)

I have train_df, valid_df, and test_df. In test_df it has all the same columns as the other two with the sole exception of 'target' which is the dependent variable. It seems like it’s having a KeyError because it wants the test_df to have it. But when I fill it with 0s I get nothing but 0s as predictions after training. This error does not happen when I leave out the test_df=df_test argument.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
KeyError                                  Traceback (most recent call last)
~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/indexes/base.py in get_loc(self, key, method, tolerance)
   2524             try:
-> 2525                 return self._engine.get_loc(key)
   2526             except KeyError:

pandas/_libs/index.pyx in pandas._libs.index.IndexEngine.get_loc()

pandas/_libs/hashtable_class_helper.pxi in pandas._libs.hashtable.PyObjectHashTable.get_item()

pandas/_libs/hashtable_class_helper.pxi in pandas._libs.hashtable.PyObjectHashTable.get_item()

KeyError: 'target'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

KeyError                                  Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-16-3700e55ea338> in <module>()
----> 1 data = tabular_data_from_df('./', train_df, valid_df, dep_var, test_df=df_test, tfms=tfms, cat_names=cat_names)

~/code/fastai/fastai/tabular/data.py in tabular_data_from_df(path, train_df, valid_df, dep_var, test_df, tfms, cat_names, cont_names, stats, log_output, **kwargs)
     79     if test_df is not None:
     80         datasets.append(TabularDataset.from_dataframe(test_df, dep_var, train_ds.tfms, train_ds.cat_names,
---> 81                                                       train_ds.cont_names, train_ds.stats, log_output))
     82     return DataBunch.create(*datasets, path=path, **kwargs)

~/code/fastai/fastai/tabular/data.py in from_dataframe(cls, df, dep_var, tfms, cat_names, cont_names, stats, log_output)
     63                 tfms[i] = tfm
     64                 cat_names, cont_names = tfm.cat_names, tfm.cont_names
---> 65         ds = cls(df, dep_var, cat_names, cont_names, stats, log_output)
     66         ds.tfms,ds.cat_names,ds.cont_names = tfms,cat_names,cont_names
     67         return ds

~/code/fastai/fastai/tabular/data.py in __init__(self, df, dep_var, cat_names, cont_names, stats, log_output)
     22     def __init__(self, df:DataFrame, dep_var:str, cat_names:OptStrList=None, cont_names:OptStrList=None,
     23                  stats:OptStats=None, log_output:bool=False):
---> 24         if not is_numeric_dtype(df[dep_var]): df[dep_var] = df[dep_var].cat.astype(np.int64)
     25         self.y = np2model_tensor(df[dep_var].values)
     26         if log_output: self.y = torch.log(self.y.float())

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/frame.py in __getitem__(self, key)
   2137             return self._getitem_multilevel(key)
   2138         else:
-> 2139             return self._getitem_column(key)
   2141     def _getitem_column(self, key):

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/frame.py in _getitem_column(self, key)
   2144         # get column
   2145         if self.columns.is_unique:
-> 2146             return self._get_item_cache(key)
   2148         # duplicate columns & possible reduce dimensionality

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/generic.py in _get_item_cache(self, item)
   1840         res = cache.get(item)
   1841         if res is None:
-> 1842             values = self._data.get(item)
   1843             res = self._box_item_values(item, values)
   1844             cache[item] = res

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/internals.py in get(self, item, fastpath)
   3842             if not isna(item):
-> 3843                 loc = self.items.get_loc(item)
   3844             else:
   3845                 indexer = np.arange(len(self.items))[isna(self.items)]

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/indexes/base.py in get_loc(self, key, method, tolerance)
   2525                 return self._engine.get_loc(key)
   2526             except KeyError:
-> 2527                 return self._engine.get_loc(self._maybe_cast_indexer(key))
   2529         indexer = self.get_indexer([key], method=method, tolerance=tolerance)

KeyError: 'target'

I know fastai/tabular/data.py was updated recently, and I think I’m on the latest for a pip-installed dev copy.
Here’s the output of show_install(1):

platform   : Linux-4.4.0-137-generic-x86_64-with-debian-stretch-sid
distro     : Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus
python     : 3.6.4
fastai     : 1.0.6.dev0
torch      : 1.0.0.dev20181007
torch cuda : Not available
torch cuda 
nvcc  cuda : Unknown
torch gpus 
no supported gpus found on this system

I’d love for this to be something obvious that I missed or am doing wrong.

Yes, for now you should have a column of zeros in your test_df. It doesn’t prevent you from getting the predictions with get_preds, but it’ll make this error disappear.
We’ll work on better handling test datasets.

Great! Thanks!

Using dummy/np.nan in the dep_var column will make the prediction works, but produce the very wrong results compare using the real value. I’m afraid there is a leak of dep_var when training the model as I check the learn.data.train_ds there is still column dep_var and its content in training data. Please confirm, as this will cause a lot of trouble. thanks

I would need a reproducible example. I just tried get_preds by putting various dependent variables on the validation set and I always get the same results.
Note that your loss or your metrics will give very different values since they are compared to the dependent variable that has changed, but the actual probabilities were the same in my case.