Setup problems: AWS

I couldn’t tell you without more information, and I could be wrong – this is just my initial guess. Did you see the part in Lesson 1 about “How to ask questions” ?

No sorry, but what kind of extra information are you looking for? I followed the procedure for installing cygwin (according to this tutorial: http://course.fast.ai/lessons/aws.html) and downloaded the x64 version.

Do you have any more thoughts about where the root cause lies?

Not off the top of my head, I assume that the path may be coming from an environmental variable? I haven’t used Cygwin in a long time now, that’s just my suspicion. I would check to see how that path to the aws script is being expanded, and also verify that “c/Users/Marc/Anaconda3/Scripts/aws” exists.

Also, how exactly did you install AWS CLI ? With pip?

My request for p2instance is already increased to 1.
But I am unable to start the aws instance getting following error
Please help me to resolve this

root@VIJAY:/mnt/c/Windows/System32# sudo -i bash setup_p2.sh
rtbassoc-5ad7523c
True
setup_p2.sh: line 13: /root/.ssh/aws-key.pem: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/root/.ssh/aws-key.pem’: No such file or directory

An error occurred (InvalidKeyPair.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The key pair ‘aws-key’ does not exist
Waiting for instance start…

Waiter InstanceRunning failed: Max attempts exceeded
usage: aws [options] [ …] [parameters]
To see help text, you can run:

aws help
aws help
aws help
aws: error: argument --instance-id: expected one argument
securityGroupId=sg-6a08f412
subnetId=subnet-6f957326
instanceId=
instanceUrl=None
Connect: ssh -i /root/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@None

@WyoDan This worked for me, thank you :slight_smile:

I have followed all the steps as mentioned, I am getting the following error which I think is because of the ‘space’ in my username. Kindly advice.
$ ssh -i /home/Sai Kiran/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@ec2-35-166-210-213.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
Warning: Identity file /home/Sai not accessible: No such file or directory.
ssh: Could not resolve hostname kiran/.ssh/aws-key.pem: Name or service not known

How should I correct it?

I am able to resolve this issue… my server is up and running
(InvalidKeyPair.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The key pair ‘aws-key’ does not exist
/.ssh/aws-key.pem file missing
I have created the folder .ssh with full permission and it worked
Here is the link I used which helped to solve this issue
http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/AWS_install#Common_Problems

can you use
sudo ssh -i /home/Sai Kiran/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@ec2-35-166-210-213.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com

and see how it is behaving

I am facing the same issue. I think it is because of the space in the username (Linux doesn’t accept a space in the program path).
But, I’m not sure how to resolve it. One of the solutions that I found online is to rename the username altogether.

I am working on a windows machine so, sudo would not work!

For installation specifically, is there a docker image?
It would be really helpful if we can install directly by docker or vagrant. Kindly let me know.

Regards,
Sai Kiran

Hi,
My setup works; unfortunately I am getting following error while running nvidia-smi

error: Failed to initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch

Anybody faced this before ?

Nice, works for me too. Thanks @burgalon.

Hi aakash,

try escaping the space in your path.

ssh -i /home/Aakash\ Laptop/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@ec2-35-166-221-165.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
or
ssh -i "/home/Aakash Laptop/.ssh/aws-key.pem" ubuntu@ec2-35-166-221-165.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
1 Like

Hey, I am from Europe, so I will be using the Ireland region. I was given access to 1 instance of p2.xlarge in Ireland and when setting up my user I entered eu-west-1 as the default region name (I think its this one). When I run the script setup_p2_ireland.sh, I get the following output:

rtbassoc-7a45c11c
True

An error occurred (InvalidAMIID.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The image id '[ami-b43d1ec7]' does not exist
Waiting for instance start...

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks!

Can you check that aws cli uses eu-west-1 region?

cat ~/.aws/config

I have just checked and AMI ami-b43d1ec7 is available in Ireland - you can verify it by yourself going to AWS web console -> EC2 -> Images -> AMIs.

1 Like

Thanks it worked! In ~/.aws/config the regionwas still us-west-2. I think I ran aws configure twice and on the first time I might have put us-west-2 as the default region.
Once again thanks again for your help, first time using AWS so I still have a lot to learn

Is it possible to use my own machine to run the codes without setup AWS instance?
My os is ubuntu16.04.1, got a gtx 1060 with 6GB of ram, have installed cuda, cudnn, caffe, dlib, nvidia detect net and able to make them runs on my own machine. It is not too hard for me to installed another deep learning libraries like keras, theano, tensor flow or mxnet.

Thanks

Yes, sure. Here is setup script provided by course author.

You can run it your own machine like $ bash install-gpu.sh

1 Like

hello, I am student from Europe. I have problem setting up t2.micro instance. I think this is probably because of my setting with region as eu-west-1.
I got the error message while running the setup_t2.sh file

“setup_t2.sh: line 13: /Users/shlin/.ssh/aws-key.pem: Permission denied
An error occurred (InvalidAMIID.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The image id ‘[ami-f8fd5998]’ does not exist”

With setting the aws config with eu-west-1. How do I modify the setup_t2.sh file, such that I could create instance for t2.micro ? Or any other way to setup a t2.micro instance without bash script ?

Thanks