Setup problems: AWS

please make sure that You are services that you had requested have been approved. I was getting this same error every time I tried to run the setup_p2.sh bash script. I was able to get past that once my servies got approved after a phone call with AWS this morning. Hang in there as it might take a day or two for the services to be provisioned.

I got the “No such file or directory error when running aws configure in Cygwin” error.

I followed the steps to resolve the issue listed here: http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/Awscli_in_cygwin (twice, actually), but I’m still getting the same error when I try to run AWS:

$ aws
C:\Users\Andrew\Anaconda3\python.exe: can’t open file ‘/cygdrive/c/Users/Andrew/Anaconda3/Scripts/aws’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I have resolved the same error after directly installing the Msi insaller from amazon

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/userguide/awscli-install-windows.html

I got a mail saying p2.x is activated from Amazon.

But still I am facing same error

Did you actually susbscribe for services? If you goto your AIM you can see what servieced are available to you. EC2 should be one of those. In order to get there you need to have a valid credit card on file among other things. The rate increase is in addition to the subscription process. After you have subscribed to EC2 you activate it by clicking on the EC2 on your account login. Also you have to be logged in as ROOT to do all this. Not administrator.

Hope this helps

My security group shows fast.ai ,what does this mean?

I did the instance manually but still i can get bash setup_p2.sh running

I’m trying to gain a better understanding of the setup_instance.sh script. It seems like it installs all the packages listed in install-gpu.sh (e.g., anaconda, kera, etc). However, I can’t find any reference to install-gpu.sh in setup_instance.sh. What am I missing?

Hi @anson,

The fast.ai AMI has everything pre-installed. The setup_instance.sh script locally configures all the AWS settings, and spins up an EC2 instance based on the fast.ai AMI.

1 Like

I get a similar message, though I am guessing it is because my ec2 request has not completed?

bash setup_p2.sh
True

An error occurred (InstanceLimitExceeded) when calling the RunInstances operation: You have requested more instances (1) than your current instance limit of 0 allows for the specified instance type. Please visit http://aws.amazon.com/contact-us/ec2-request to request an adjustment to this limit.

An error occurred (MissingParameter) when calling the CreateTags operation: The request must contain the parameter resourceIdSet
Waiting for instance start…

Waiter InstanceRunning failed: Max attempts exceeded
usage: aws [options] [ …] [parameters]
To see help text, you can run:

aws help
aws help
aws help
aws: error: argument --instance-id: expected one argument

An error occurred (MissingParameter) when calling the RebootInstances operation: The request must contain the parameter InstancesSet

All done. Find all you need to connect in the fast-ai-commands.txt file and to remove the stack call fast-ai-remove.sh
Connect to your instance: ssh -i /Users/davidmeisenzahl/.ssh/aws-key-fast-ai.pem ubuntu@None

Hi @ozora999,

You should get a notice from Amazon once they have approved your limit increase. You can check the status of your ticket in the Support Centre in your AWS console.

1 Like

I did receive a case update 5 days ago

I’m happy to inform you that we’ve approved and processed your EC2 Instances g2.2xlarge limit increase request for the US West (Oregon) region, and your new limit is 1.

I’ve rerun bash setup_p2.sh again

True

An error occurred (InstanceLimitExceeded) when calling the RunInstances operation: You have requested more instances (1) than your current instance limit of 0 allows for the specified instance type. Please visit http://aws.amazon.com/contact-us/ec2-request to request an adjustment to this limit.

An error occurred (MissingParameter) when calling the CreateTags operation: The request must contain the parameter resourceIdSet

I am overlooking something, somewhere…

It appears that you were granted a g2.2xlarge instance. The newer GPU instances are the p2 instances. I’m not sure why support gave you a g2.

If you like, you can use the g2 instance in the meantime. All you have to do is create an appropriate script by running this in your setup directory:

sed 's/p2.xlarge/g2.2xlarge/g' setup_p2.sh > setup_g2.sh
chmod 775 setup_g2.sh

Then run the setup_g2.sh script to create your g2 instance.

1 Like

Yes! Thank you!

True

All done. Find all you need to connect in the fast-ai-commands.txt file and to remove the stack call fast-ai-remove.sh {deleted}

1 Like

Hello @jeremy, this is indeed a great course on DL. Thanks!

When I try to run $bash setup_p2.sh even after running $dos2unix setup_p2.sh, I still get the same errors:

$ bash setup_p2.sh
./setup_instance.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `newline’
./setup_instance.sh: line 7: !DOCTYPE html

I have copy pasted the content from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fastai/courses/master/setup/setup_p2.sh into the file and I opened it in notepad++, made sure it is a unix script file. Is there any other solution to this I am not trying?

Hi there,

Having some issues running setup_p2.sh (setup_t2.sh is fine). I’m getting the following error:

JCherry-mbp113:~ joshcherry$ bash setup_p2.sh
True

usage: aws [options] [ …] [parameters]
To see help text, you can run:

aws help
aws help
aws help
aws: error: argument --instance-id: expected one argument

An error occurred (MissingParameter) when calling the RebootInstances operation: The request must contain the parameter InstancesSet

All done. Find all you need to connect in the fast-ai-commands.txt file and to remove the stack call fast-ai-remove.sh
Connect to your instance: ssh -i /Users/joshcherry/.ssh/aws-key-fast-ai.pem ubuntu@ec2-34-203-17-6.compute-1.amazonaws.com

A few additional points:
–I was already approved for for the p2.xlarge instance (I see it as “1” in my AWS console)
–I’m running a mac
–I already have an AWS account (for work) on the computer I’m using and created a second one for this class; I’m wondering if the setup script is conflating the two accounts. I’m not sure how to check this

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nice. That seems to have worked for me too!

I’m stuck on step:
$ bash setup_p2.sh

This is the result I’m getting. I haven’t seen anyone else posting these kinds of errors:

$ bash setup_p2.sh
rtbassoc-5cca7d25

An error occurred (InvalidRouteTableId.Malformed) when calling the CreateRoute o "eration: Invalid id: "rtb-3bdf6c5d

An error occurred (InvalidGroupId.Malformed) when calling the AuthorizeSecurityG "oupIngress operation: Invalid id: "sg-799cfe02

An error occurred (InvalidGroupId.Malformed) when calling the AuthorizeSecurityGroupIngress op"ration: Invalid id: "sg-799cfe02