I am a new member here. Just starting this course today and.... already found my first-- how to deploy AWS instance with cost reducement.
So, I have read this thread from the beginning until the end, and have no idea how to deploy the low cost one.
Then, I found out this blog post by Slav Ivanov. I think he also a learner on here.
I try to follow his guidelines and got stuck in the instance deployment-- always failed to bid for spot instances.
Thus, I tried my own way, by using AWS console, which apparently easier for me. (I'm using us-west-2 / Oregon)
1. I follow the guidelines by Slav Ivanov until 1.2 Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
2. After this, I use AWS console to deploy my instance. Open up EC2 Dashboard, click Launch Instance
3. Click Community AMIs >> Search "ami-64c5cc1d" (it seems this AMI has DL frameworks & Anaconda preinstalled) or "ami-bc508adc" (fast.ai default AMI) >> Select
4. Choose p2.xlarge >> Next
5. Network: choose the VPC that we have created by using the guideline on the blog post below.
6. Subnet: same as #5 step
7. I enabled "CloudWatch detail monitoring" to keep track my usage. I also enabled "Launch as EBS-optimized instance" to make sure I get a lower price >> Next
8.In Add Storage, input your preferred size (I'm using 30GB like the others suggested on here) and set the volume type as "GP2". Make sure to uncheck delete on termination >> Next
9. Select existing security group >> choose default >> Next
11. it will appear a new pop up, which asking for the key pair. Select "Choose an existing key pair" >> "aws-key-fast-ai" (we have created it by following the guideline on the blog post below. If we can't select this option, we may create a "Create a new key pair" option. However, please make sure that we save the key pair by downloading it)
12. Check the acknowledgment >> Launch instances
Let's wait for a while and we may start to use it when it's ready.