Reduce size of volume

Can you provide line that needs to be added/changed in order to get this to work?

1 Like

@nunb @vshets I am a newbie to AWS. I am trying to use the ami-9c54f4fc AMI in us-east-1 but get this error possibly since the AMI is not there in us-east . How do I get the AMI to us-east-1… Is there a corresponding version for us-east-1
**An error occurred (InvalidAMIID.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The image id ‘[ami-9c54f4fc]’ does not exist. I tried coying over from Oregon to Virginia but then I got an error that I do not have access

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps just change your region to us-west-2 (Oregon)

I changed the region to us-west-2, it still did not work.

Try ami-31ecfb26 for Virginia in p2 instance.

Looks like ami-9c54f4fc is no longer available. I’ll see if I can create one ami for us-west-2

Isn’t this 128GB storage again with gp2 instance?

Is this still working? I can’t seem to find the ami-9c54f4fc … Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @vshets , could you please guide me a little bit. I can’t seem to find the ami that you created.

Hey @jeremy, why do we have to delete the .ssh directory before creating an AMI? I followed the process and did create an AMI but I can’t seem to ssh into a new instance created from the image. Getting connection refused on port 22. Any idea?

Edit: All is fine now. Created a new AMI, ami-64c5cc1d, in us-west-2. @aadimator, do you wanna try?

6 Likes

Thanks @vvinay . I’m checking it out now. Just to be clear, now that there are two files in the github repository, 1. setup_p2.sh and 2. setup_instance.sh, I’d have to change the ami in setup_p2.sh and then change the volume size in setup_instance.sh. Right?

Thank you so much @vvinay It’s working fine now. you are a lifesaver :wink:

1 Like

hey all, I’m trying to set this up for eu-west-1 (Ireland) – what (if any) changes do I need to make to get this AMI to work?

1 Like

@niyb You have to create a new AMI in eu-west-1 since AMIs are region specific. The process to create an AMI is fairly easy. You can follow this conversation thread from the beginning and instructions are neatly presented.

1 Like

Is it possible to reduce volume size for the p2 instance as well? I am getting an error when I try to do so.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the insights. I can confirm that you need to modify the AMI in the setup.sh file and modify the instanceID in the setup_instance.sh.

The ami-64c5cc1d instance appears to be t2.xlarge which does not have GPU (please correct me if I am wrong).

I guess for those that just want to use CPU for running deep learning algorithms this is an option but it might be more cost effective to run it on a p2 instance with GPU?

I am new to all this so let me know if I am mistaken.

Cheers,

Marco

@marcohs I used ami-64c5cc1d and after checking my running instances, it seems to be a p2.xlarge.

What do you see when your check your instances?

hello, whats the cost savings or charge per hour for the AMI ami-64c5cc1d with 30GB volume size ? I understand the cost for the original setup is $.90 per hour. what will be the new cost ?

Hi All!

Have created a new AMI for p2.xlarge insances - ami-951609ec

Newbie to AWS and seems to work for me. Pls check and confirm. Created with 30 GB storage

@nunb I see the AMI is for Oregon. Is there an equivalent one available for Ireland?

1 Like