Pytorch not working

(Nilabja Bhattacharya) #1

When I’m trying to run lesson1 in my PC, I’m getting a weird error, ie, pytorch doesn’t support this GPU anymore, I got the solution ie to use an older version of pytorch but on using older version of pytorch, torch.backends.cudnn.enabled statement gives an error that - torch.backends has no attribute cudnn

I’ve got nvidia GPU 840M

(Ramesh Sampath) #2

Few pointers -

1. run import torch; torch.cuda.is_available(). I suspect it will return False
  2. run nvidia-smi on your terminal. If it says command not found, you might not have installed nvidia drivers. If it returns a table with your GPU listed then you have installed the drivers. From there you can check what version of pytorch you installed (GPU or non-GPU and what CUDA version).

So, I would suggest you do the above steps to get started. If that doesn’t help, you will need to provide more information on your setup.

1. What OS (Windows?) - What version?
  2. What version of Python, PyTorch (you conda or pip command on how you installed pytorch)
  3. What version of cuda.
  4. print nvidia-smi command output.

I would also recommend you post in PyTorch forums ( since this looks like PyTorch install issue and not specific to Fast.AI. Hope this is useful.

(Nilabja Bhattacharya) #3

torch.cuda.is_available() - this returns True.
nvidia-smi return -

My PC config are:

1. Ubuntu 17.10
  2. Python 3.6, pytorch 3.0
  3. cuda version 8.0

My errors are:

1. 2.

I’m getting same error even if I run CPU only version.

(Ramesh Sampath) #4

You cold try Uninstalling PyTorch and Re-install PyTorch using instructions here -

Also try a toy problem with just PyTorch and see if that works. For example -

import torch
torch.FloatTensor(5, 7).cuda()

If this gives you an error, then post this to as they might have expertise to help you on PyTorch setup on your local environment.

(nok) #5

I have the same issue with window 10 gtx930m.

I think someone in already post a thread on PyTorch forum. The solution was build PyTorch from source and it works for me. You can go to Pytorch github page and check out how to do it.

(Nilabja Bhattacharya) #6

@nok @ramesh thank You, it worked.
@nok are you facing any problem on running lesson1? My PC hangs after runnung the resnet block. I’ve nvidia gpu 840M with 2 gb graphic card and 8 gb ram

(WG) #7

I don’t believe this GPU is supported by the latest version of pytorch, and it may be that the notebooks have been updated with code that requires the latest.

i have an XPS with a 960 card and things no longer work. I’m having to do everything in AWS for the time being.

(Nilabja Bhattacharya) #8

@wgpubs use this line of code- conda install pytorch=0.1.12 cuda80 -c soumith - in the environment, it worked for me (but it is consuming too much memory so my pc is freezing)

(WG) #9

thanks @neil145912. i’ll give it a whirl.

were you able to run all the notebooks with it?

(Nilabja Bhattacharya) #10

@wgpubs yes I’m not getting any error but since I’ve less memory, I’m facing problem somewhat like this: Get_data function running out of memory on training data in lesson 2

But I can run low end gpu programs as given in pytorch tutorial.

(WG) #11

cool. thanks for the tip.

i got 32GB RAM and usually just run things on a smaller sample set when working on my laptop. i save the full dataset for when i push my code to AWS.