Problem achieving quality on dog breeds

I’m having trouble reproducing Jeremy’s results of ~0.93 accuracy on dog breeds dataset.
I tried reproducing his code, as well as tinkering around, and I can’t get past 0.90 accuracy/0.35 loss, which translates to around 0.2-0.3 kaggle score, places 300-500.
My steps are:

• use 224x224 data
  • precompute=True
  • lr_find()
  • train for 3 epochs (overfits after 3)
  • precompute=False
  • train for 3 epochs with cycle_len=1 (overfits after 3)
  • unfreeze
  • lr_find() - here the plot looks really weird - first flat, then goes up fast
  • train for 3 epochs with cycle_len=1, cycle_mult=2, and differential lr: here it clearly overfits
  • set 299x299 data
  • train for 3 epochs with cycle_len=1

Am I doing anything wrong, or I just need to add more sophistication and trial-and-error?

1 Like

@yarrrk
Just a random guess.
Do you restore weights after running lr_find()?

learn.save('224_pre')
learn.lr_find( )
learn.sched.plot_lr()
learn.sched.plot()
learn.load('224_pre')

I think id does that by itself:
def lr_find(self, start_lr=1e-5, end_lr=10, wds=None, linear=False, **kwargs):
self.save(‘tmp’)
layer_opt = self.get_layer_opt(start_lr, wds)
self.sched = LR_Finder(layer_opt, len(self.data.trn_dl), end_lr, linear=linear)
self.fit_gen(self.model, self.data, layer_opt, 1, **kwargs)
self.load(‘tmp’)
source

Yes. That could not be it.
Thx for correcting my misconception.

@stas recently pointed out that the fastai git now has a dog breed notebook.

dog breed notebook

stas’s dogbreed post

Perhaps running it and comparing results to your notebook could help isolate the issue.

In lesson1-breeds.ipynb the cached output after the first training ( precompute=True ) does not overfit after 3 epochs ( epoch == 2 --> 0.297677 0.270401 0.922701). But after epoch == 3 the trn_loss is slightly less than that val_loss.

When I run it on my machine the outputs have the same relationships.
But the numbers are slightly different.

You prolly also know this. But I thought I suggest it just in case you had not tried it. If files the tmp directory went wonky, you can always delete them and rerun the notebook. Beware that hard fought weights saved by learn.save() are stored under tmp. I used the following command while running jupyter in an Ubuntu based docker container.

!rm -rdf {PATH}tmp

Terry, thank you!
I used the new notebook, and tweaked my own, and was able to achieve what I wanted.