Part 1 FAQ

sure, you can. the easiest thing to do is to follow the paperspace setup script.

(Shubham Goyal) #22

Same here bro. Did the same mistake. Now I’m trying to setup AWS with Anaconda3, Cuda9 etc. I’ll update if I make any progress.

I am in the position that nothing works. I go to paperspace, have a machine set up, but when I try to launch it now it never launches. I spend hours clicking on it and watching a little spinning wheel. There must be something better available to learn your course, could you point me toward it?
Also, the very few times I have been able to get the paperspace to launch, I am unable to open the jupyter notebook - the connection always times out.
I;m in the US, by the way - my wifi is pretty robust.
Is there another way to do this course? Any suggestions? Do I need to start over? Any help appreciated.

(Shubham Goyal) #24

Hey @jlrw, I just set everything for Course 1 V2(2018) on AWS using spot instances of p2. I guess I’ve got it running fine. Ping me if you’re stuck on setting up on AWS, maybe I can help. I chose to do this on AWS because I anyway use AWS at work for a lot of different purposes and it’s cheaper with spot instances.

(Dillon) #25

Hi @jlrw Dillon here from Paperspace. Really sorry for the issues you are seeing that is definitely not a normal experience. Have you sent an email to support@paperspace.com by any chance? The terminal can get stuck sometimes but a browser tab refresh and closing the terminal window usually clears it up.

(Jeremy Howard) #26

@dillon thanks for stepping in - perhaps once these student issues are resolved you could pop back here and let us know what you found, so that we can help each other better in the future without bothering you! :slight_smile:

(Fred Hersch) #27

I am getting the same problem. Any suggestions for how to fix this? I’m using google chrome.

(jsm) #28

My solution to stalled start-up on Paperspace

had the same problem but found a solution which seems to work on macOS 10.3
Chrome and Safari with firewall ON.

on the machines page on paperspace there is a icon to switch between icon and list view.
Switch to icon view.
click on selection box beside your machine
click on start button
wait for blue “ready” signal.
either ssh in, or click anywhere on that line to get a working terminal in browser.

hopefully this wasn’t just lucky. but this morning I got results.

good luck everyone else.

(Fred Hersch) #29

Thanks @jsm. I got a message back from paperspace that their machines were “full”, that it happens occasionally, and that additional space has now been added which should take care of the problem.

hey there , new to the MOOC
I purchased a paperspace account and I have a question :
in the first lecture Jeremy says to test the model on our own images.
My question is , how do I download images to the “paperspace” computer ?
all I have is a shell command prompt. I can’t use a web browser to download new images.

thanks

Hi @yaniv,

What I usually do in cases like this one is using the wget command and a Dropbox link.

• wget is the command that you should use any time you want to retrieve content from a htttp of ftp link

• I use Dropbox because it’s the easiest way: you can use any public link where you have stored your files. Google Drive doesn’t work that well in this case because it doesn’t give you a link with direct download, while Dropbox does. If you have Dropbox installed on your computer, put your pictures in a zipped archive, right click on the archive and the click on “copy Dropbox link”. At the end of the file you’ll have something like “?dl=0”, remove that part because it will make things easier later.

• Once you have the archive in the folder you want: just unzip it (you may need to install the right command for it).

(Rohith Seelaboyina) #33

Hi,
I have tried to copy fastai library into google drive so that it can be used along with google’s colab GPU. https://medium.com/deep-learning-turkey/google-colab-free-gpu-tutorial-e113627b9f5d

However, when I run the cells in lesson1, I got following error.
Let me know how to resolve these errors.

ModuleNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
in ()
----> 1 from fastai.imports import *

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘fastai’

NOTE: If your import is failing due to a missing package, you can
manually install dependencies using either !pip or !apt.

To view examples of installing some common dependencies, click the
"Open Examples" button below.

(ramin pouyan) #34

Hi. I just started with the firat video but there is no way i can get to the terminal in order to download the configuration of fast.ai. How should I do it? thank you