Part 1 FAQ

sure, you can. the easiest thing to do is to follow the paperspace setup script.

(Shubham Goyal) #22

Same here bro. Did the same mistake. Now I’m trying to setup AWS with Anaconda3, Cuda9 etc. I’ll update if I make any progress.

I am in the position that nothing works. I go to paperspace, have a machine set up, but when I try to launch it now it never launches. I spend hours clicking on it and watching a little spinning wheel. There must be something better available to learn your course, could you point me toward it?
Also, the very few times I have been able to get the paperspace to launch, I am unable to open the jupyter notebook - the connection always times out.
I;m in the US, by the way - my wifi is pretty robust.
Is there another way to do this course? Any suggestions? Do I need to start over? Any help appreciated.

(Shubham Goyal) #24

Hey @jlrw, I just set everything for Course 1 V2(2018) on AWS using spot instances of p2. I guess I’ve got it running fine. Ping me if you’re stuck on setting up on AWS, maybe I can help. I chose to do this on AWS because I anyway use AWS at work for a lot of different purposes and it’s cheaper with spot instances.

(Dillon) #25

Hi @jlrw Dillon here from Paperspace. Really sorry for the issues you are seeing that is definitely not a normal experience. Have you sent an email to support@paperspace.com by any chance? The terminal can get stuck sometimes but a browser tab refresh and closing the terminal window usually clears it up.

(Jeremy Howard) #26

@dillon thanks for stepping in - perhaps once these student issues are resolved you could pop back here and let us know what you found, so that we can help each other better in the future without bothering you! :slight_smile:

(Fred Hersch) #27

I am getting the same problem. Any suggestions for how to fix this? I’m using google chrome.

(jsm) #28

My solution to stalled start-up on Paperspace

had the same problem but found a solution which seems to work on macOS 10.3
Chrome and Safari with firewall ON.

on the machines page on paperspace there is a icon to switch between icon and list view.
Switch to icon view.
click on selection box beside your machine
click on start button
wait for blue “ready” signal.
either ssh in, or click anywhere on that line to get a working terminal in browser.

hopefully this wasn’t just lucky. but this morning I got results.

good luck everyone else.

(Fred Hersch) #29

Thanks @jsm. I got a message back from paperspace that their machines were “full”, that it happens occasionally, and that additional space has now been added which should take care of the problem.