Paperspace setup help

Confirming that ssh into paperspace is still working today, with the vm in the ready state at the website while logging into the terminal at the website does not work (gives a broken pipe error).

I have also figured out how to use the scp command correctly :slight_smile:

If anyone needs a paperspace referral code: 5UBEU1J

Hi all,

I tried to buy server from paperspace but they rejected my credit card and I think all credit cards from my country. Is there anyone know how to setup this course on Amazon?

Please advise

Hi Jeremy,

How to setup this course (the second version) on Amazon?

Please advise

Was getting this error also for UK credit card. I switched from a Visa card to a Mastercard and followed the same work around as for Canadian postal code (take the numeric values and pad to five digits with zeros). This seemed to work.

How do we move files between paperspace and my local computer ?

Not unique. I’m having the same experience. My guess is that they aren’t used to the volume that their getting from fast.ai.

Echo means print basically, it prints ‘export PATH=~/anaconda3/bin:$PATH’ to .bashrc which is the default environment when you start using bash command. So next time when you start a new terminal, it will automatically run this command.

The second line is actually calling “export PATH=~/anaconda3/bin:$PATH” because otherwise you need to restart your BASH command as .bashrc is applied when you start a new terminal.

The third line means apply the things that in .bashrc

@NickM, @tdutta

Nick, I have been able to use paperspace productively, using ssh after turning the machine to the ready state on the website. Hope you are being able to use it too? Else, please ask specifics.

Tridib, scp stands for secure copy; working from your source (commonly abbreviated as src) directory, you will need to tell it what the destination computer is, so the computer’s name at an ip address, which turns out to be paperspace@your paperspace public ip
this is how the command looks like: scp -r /my/path/to/the/directory/to/be/copied paperspace@my ip:/home/paperspace/data
You can do a pwd (print working directory) on the paperspace terminal to figure out the path you need for the destination(often abbreviated at dst in linux or ubuntu forums).
The -r tells the command to recursively copy all folders and subfolders and everything in them.
Also, I first learnt to use scp to transfer folders from one directory to another in my local machine, then from my local machine to paperspace and finally from my SD card to paperspace.
I found this helpful: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/188285/how-to-copy-a-file-from-a-remote-server-to-a-local-machine

2 Likes

I’ve been able to use paperspace successfully, there are some glitches when using desktop viewer in Chrome (when i type, it doesn’t type into the machine).

Here is a promocode to get $10 off: O5Q1LC6

@sandip. Thanks much. Suggestion is helpful. If I am using a mac osx, I believe I can use SSH. Right? Thanks again.

look at video, lesson2 end and lesson3 beginning…

I had the same problem, but it seems not to be an issue if I click the settings icon (upper right of image below) and go in from the screen the pops up.

paperspace-4

However, every time I tried to lauch directly from this screen, it would just spin and spin.

Being able to do the work on paperspace from my chromebook w/ Ubuntu is a huge step in the right direction, compared to last year.

I use jupyter notebook from my local machine for learning /testing out codes and on the VM for the course related work. So using tmux is very helpful and accessing the vm through ssh is actually the preferred route for me.

Wrote all this to balance out comments regarding ‘problems’ + ‘paperspace’. Your workaround didn’t work on my system :slight_smile:

@dillon I’m re-doing some of the Part 1 assignments in Paperspace. This might have been asked before…

Does pricing change depending on how many times we choose to take a snapshot, and the number of snapshots we store? For eg. will snapshot pricing for 250GB remain $1.4 whether we choose to save it daily, weekly or monthly ?

Trying it out on a Mac first time, looks like this is a good solution. Looks like tunneling was required. I was able to use the normal ports to start Jupiter i.e.
ssh -L 8888:127.0.0.1:8888 paperspace@xxx.xx.xx.xx

Hello, everyone, I am a nubest nube possible.

My personal OS: Linux Ubuntu 17.10
My personal browser: Firefox (latest)

I work on trying to set up an initial fast.ai environment on a new paperspace machine. So I am working in a browser console on paperspace, right?

Entering “curl http://files.fast.ai/setup/paperspace | bash” does not work, because it sends me a mistake after “sudo rm /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/.” - something along the lines “rm: cannot remove file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/. because no such file”.

Trying to copy command from the script one by one does not work because my clipboard does not copy the text to the browser console!

I found this https://paperspace.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/236362428-Copy-and-Paste-Sync-Clipboard link with the helping suggestions, but I cannot find “small circle button in the Paperspace interface and then click “Sync Clipboard”” anywhere! No bashing of my head on the keyboard helped. Ctrl-V does not help, Winkey + V does not help, Shift+ins not working. I have a double booted Linux / Windows 10 laptop, and my default keys on Linux are kinda strange sometimes. I paste in Terminal with the mouse.

That’s how my interface of browser console looks like (no small circle buttons):

Please, help :frowning: or can you find me the script http://files.fast.ai/setup/paperspace with offending command hashed out? don’t want to drop fast.ai just because of stupid nube mistakes.

Read the ‘important notes’ section on the lesson 1 page to learn how to do this much more simply: http://course.fast.ai/lessons/lesson1.html

I had trouble registering my German Master Card. It kept failing the zip code validation for which I was trying to use my postcode (which funnily even has the same 5 digit format as US zip codes). Leaving it blank did not work either and neither Paperspace support nor my bank could help.
I the end I just tried it with na and it went through. Hope that helps others having similar problems. :slight_smile: