Paperspace setup help

What, Paperspace has an Auto-shutdown option? Great tips! Gone are the days of forgetting to shutdown our own machine.

The effects of the script changes are more subtle. For example, moving the commands with sudo as prefix to the start of the script should avoid problems. I noticed some problems that some of us encountered here are due to sudo session timeout. When the script execute sudo in Ubuntu, your administrative privileges last for 15 minutes by default so you don’t have to type in your password with every command. However, due to the network latency, some commands especially the ones downloading large files took longer than expected to complete and thus affected and interrupted the script run.

4 Likes

Anyone looking to get $10 off paperspace can use my code 1SSJECD (limited to 1 person). Pay it forward and post your code here so others can save some money too!

2 Likes

Anyone looking to get $10 off PaperSpace can use my code KQPIJX6

For full transparency. Let me note that I’m going to get a $15.00 credit when you do this.

(limited to 1 person).

Please note here so others don’t waste time on a used code.

Pay it forward and post your code here so others can save some money too! And you to will get a referral fee toward your account.

2 Likes

Actually I forgot to mention, we have a $15 credit code you can all use: FASTAI15 . I believe you can’t use it at the same time as a referral code however, so you can’t combine them to get $25 credit. I’ll add this code to the top post - maybe @reshama you can add it to your instructions too?

4 Likes

I have try this and oh boy, surely it work. Case resolved! Thanks man.

[https://www.paperspace.com/&R=AE14NQR]

My code AE14NQR

2 Likes

Hi Dan!
Also need approvement for AMS1. I have sent you an email. Can you turn on ams1 for me?

Hi Dan,

same for me. I’m eagerly waiting for approvement in AMS1 without any response yet. I hope not to spam you with our manual requests but will send you an email too.

Hey Seema, yes I got this, my machine took about an hour to provision, it was showing me this error while it was in the process of provisioning the machine.

Please note that the auto shut down works only for the browser console. Paperspace will not shut down your server if you SSH to it.

3 Likes

thanks @radi for the info
I’ve added a note to my Paperspace instructions.

:white_check_mark: discount code has been added to the paperspace instructions.

Great, thanks for this post.
My discount code: UXO0IB

1 Like

Paperspace vs. Personal Ubuntu Box with GPU (GTX 970)

I have a personal ubuntu box and I am wondering if I should use PaperSpace or my own box?

What would be the disadvantage of using my own Ubuntu box?

I am mostly concerned about billing. Perhaps someone can give me an estimate of how much it cost them ballpark.

Thanks a bunch
Vikas Bahirwani

Here’s a script we wrote when connecting via SSH.

This article covers how Auto Shutdown works in the web-based terminal/streaming desktop.

Hope that helps!

Don’t hesitate to send me an email – sometimes our GPU approval process gets backed up and I can approve instantly. I also can’t see emails here which I need in order to locate your account so email is best.

dan@paperspace.com

Thanks!

2 Likes

@reshama This may be helpful for people connecting via SSH (which we can’t detect like the web-based terminal).

2 Likes

Hello,
Does anyone has the problem on opening the jupyter from the web browser?
But when i check terminal, it clearly said the jupyter network is running.
Anyone has the potential solution? Appreicate if someone can help us. Thanks

@radi
Did you solve the issue? I think I have the same problem as yours, could not open notebook in the browser. Appreciate anyhelp