Lesson 8 homework assignments

(Ravi Teja Gutta) #62

Hi @zaoyang, In Lesson 8 discussions some of us including myself had same problems.Check lesson 8 discussions for fix

(Zao Yang) #63

thanks I’ll check it out. Did the Keras 2 implementation from Romano work for you? It wasn’t exactly the same issue. It’s the orange blob.

Lesson 8 Discussion
(Ravi Teja Gutta) #64

Hi @zaoyang, try , loss = K.mean(metrics.mse(layer, targ)) .I think the current content loss function you have doesn’t return a single value

(Zao Yang) #65

Here:

Here’s my conda and pip environments:

(Zao Yang) #66

Thank you that worked. That removed the orange output. I just don’t understand why that worked.

(Ravi Teja Gutta) #67

Hi @zaoyang, The loss returned by the original function won’t be a single value if you are using keras 2. So I had to wrap a K.mean around it

(Zao Yang) #68

k Thank you appreciate it. I have the invalid argument as well. Not sure if encountered it. I’ll try romano’s code unless you have a quick suggestion.

My answers of question 3, anyone who find something wrong or incomplete, please help me correct them, thanks.

1 : What problem are they solving?

They figure out an algorithm which could generate artistic image by deep learning

2 : What is the general idea that they are using to solve it?

a : They use pre-trained network(vgg19) to extract features from content images and style images
b : Generate a random image(white noise) and try to minimize the loss between random image, content images and style images. Total loss = content_loss(content, random_image) + style_loss(style_image + random_image). style_loss could be a summation of gram matrix of many conv output, content_loss is mean square error.

3 : What kind of results are they getting?

The results is the combination of source image and the style image, the results of the paper seem rosy. However, I find out not every images work out of the box, you may need to tune this and that to make the result looks good.

4 : What previous work are they building on?

They are using a technique which called non-photorealistic rendering. I haven’t read this paper yet, have no idea how it works.

(Tuatini GODARD) #70

For those who are interested in building their own deep learning box I created a tutorial in 2 parts to install the necessary tools for deep learning on your linux machine.
Link for part 1: How to setup your own environment for deep learning - Locally
Link for part 2: How to setup your own environment for deep learning - For remote access

(NickB) #71

Hi @Matthew, I am hitting my head against a brick wall as I am getting the same “All Orange” images using the default notebook for neural style. Initially i thought it was a problem with keras, tensorflow or cuda causing this, because i am doing this 6 months behind the course timeline, so i went and upgraded everything, but i am still getting this problem. Do you have any insights on how to fix that. or what you did to solve it.
I am at a loss to understand the problem. If you need further screen shots etc i can provide.

edit: I see others had this issue. Im going hunting for the solution. If you or others can post a link to the solution please do. Thanks

edit2:
Ok looks like i solved it from above posts. Thanks all. Heres what i did. Changed the following loss function.

# loss = metrics.mse(layer, targ)         ## This caused the problem
loss = K.mean(metrics.mse(layer, targ))   ## This fixes the issue
grads = K.gradients(loss, model.input)
fn = K.function([model.input], [loss]+grads)
evaluator = Evaluator(fn, shp)

(Matthew) #72

I’m having trouble understanding the how the content loss is calculated. In the notebook, it’s

layer_model = Model(model.input, layer)
targ = K.variable(layer_model.predict(img_arr))
loss = metrics.mse(layer, targ)

It seems like this is calculating the loss between the input image and the activations in the final convolution layer. But, if I understood correctly, it should be comparing the activations of the noisy image with the activations of the target image.

(Matthew) #73

Nevermind, I get it now. The layer variable is the activations of the model on the noise image image.

(Matthew) #74

I finally got it working! I used a picture of the golden gate bridge from here, and Van Goh’s starry night as the style. I ran it for 50 iterations, and the result was pretty cool.

(Rob Forgione) #75

In case anyone is confused about why this is, I dug into it a bit. I don’t know why this worked in Jeremy’s original notebook (perhaps it was an older version of Keras) but the mean squared error function is defined here. It performs a mean over the final axis, which in our case is the filters, but this is a marginal mean – it returns the MSE over each individual value rather than reducing the entire difference matrix to a single value. We then apply K.mean to this value without passing a specified axis; in tensorflow it falls back to this function, which, when an axis is not specified, reduces the entire dataset to a scalar.

It seems in the original notebook, metrics.mse was doing this by default. Something must have changed, but I’m not sure what it is. Hope this makes things a little more clear to anyone that was struggling with this issue (as I was).

(Rob Forgione) #76

Anyone else having trouble reaching the level of performance displayed in Jeremy’s notebook, even when running the code (nearly*) unchanged? My best losses are in the hundreds – generally 400-500 – while Jeremy’s gets down to around 5. I must be missing something, or a default in one of the underlying libraries may have changed and needs to be adjusted. Just wondering if anyone else has as a good solution.

*the only changes I’ve made to Jeremy’s code are those meant to switch to Keras 2 (e.g., wrapping all the metrics.mse calls in a K.mean). It’s possible that I messed one of these up and that’s causing the issue, but I haven’t been able to spot it.