Lesson 6 discussion

Lesson 6 wiki page and video are now available.

Please post your questions and comments here! (Also note that there is an ongoing discussion about the purpose of RNNs, and learning Theano.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeremy!

Quick question ā€“ I know it was discussed already, but I forgot the reasoning. Weā€™re setting shuffle=False on .fit with LSTMs.

Is this because of sparse_categorical_entropy? Would keras not be able to return the right output if we didnā€™t set shuffle to False?

1 Like

Itā€™s because of stateful=True

Right, that makes total sense.

Hi again,

Iā€™m trying to create an artificial intellegence Trump tweet generator using the stateful model of lesson 6 to see if itā€™s more or less intellegent than the actual human.

The model fits great (maybe too wellā€¦ ), but I canā€™t seem to call model.predict in any way that works.

Hereā€™s what Iā€™m doing:

which seems to match your lesson 6 mode.

I can train it on my text corpus, just like you did:

However, I canā€™t figure out what the right parameters are to the model.predict function.

If I pass in the wrong dimension array, I get an error saying the dimensions should be (64, 8)

But, when I pass in an array of (64, 8), I get an enourmous stack dump that doesnā€™t really say anything I can grok.

Here Iā€™m passing an array of 64,8, and getting the following error:

and farther down this:

Specifically, it says thereā€™s a dimension mismatch, but I canā€™t figure out what size array Iā€™m suspposed to pass in.

Any ideas?
You can download the full notebook here

Thanks again,
-caleb

Right, you canā€™t really just call model.predict - but if you look at the nietzsche generators youā€™ll see that I write some functions to deal with the details of that. Perhaps you can borrow from them? e.g. https://github.com/fastai/courses/blob/master/deeplearning1/nbs/char-rnn.ipynb

Oh, there it is! I knew I was missing something.

Thanks,
-C

@rachel I was going through Lesson 6, looking in to the char-rnn.ipynb example and noticed that the notebook that Jeremy presents in the lesson is different to the char-rnn.ipynb notebook uploaded to GitHub.

As an example, Jeremyā€™s version has a function called def run_epochs(), etc. Is it possible that the version uploaded to GitHub is an older one?

Thanks a lot!

Did anyone ever had a problem where get_next() keeps on predicting ' '? I thought it was overfitting but decreasing the learning rate greatly did not help. Variables x1, x2, x3, y looks correct too.

3 Likes

Iā€™m having the same issue. Any luck debugging?

@jeremy @rachel
I was going through the MixIterator class and tried to use it, but I am getting this error.

Can someone please help me with this?

1 Like

Hi All,
I have been working through the lesson 6 notebook, and I am getting errors that I believe may be Keras related. After I examined the code thoroughly, this appears to me like it should work.

Our first RNN with keras!

n_hidden, n_fac, cs, vocab_size = (256, 42, 8, 86)

This is nearly exactly equivalent to the RNN we built ourselves in the previous section.

model=Sequential([

Embedding(vocab_size, n_fac, input_length=cs),
    SimpleRNN(n_hidden, activation='relu', inner_init='identity'),
    Dense(vocab_size, activation='softmax')
])

model.summary()

Layer (type) Output Shape Param # Connected to

embedding_4 (Embedding) (None, 8, 42) 3612 embedding_input_1[0][0]

simplernn_1 (SimpleRNN) (None, 256) 76544 embedding_4[0][0]

dense_7 (Dense) (None, 86) 22102 simplernn_1[0][0]

Total params: 102,258
Trainable params: 102,258
Non-trainable params: 0

model.compile(loss=ā€˜sparse_categorical_crossentropyā€™, optimizer=Adam())

model.fit(np.stack(xs,1), y, batch_size=64, nb_epoch=8)

ValueError Traceback (most recent call last)
in ()
----> 1 model.fit(np.stack(xs,1), y, batch_size=64, nb_epoch=8)

/home/ubuntu/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/models.pyc in fit(self, x, y, batch_size, nb_epoch, verbose, callbacks, validation_split, validation_data, shuffle, class_weight, sample_weight, initial_epoch, **kwargs)
670 class_weight=class_weight,
671 sample_weight=sample_weight,
ā€“> 672 initial_epoch=initial_epoch)
674 def evaluate(self, x, y, batch_size=32, verbose=1,

/home/ubuntu/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/engine/training.pyc in fit(self, x, y, batch_size, nb_epoch, verbose, callbacks, validation_split, validation_data, shuffle, class_weight, sample_weight, initial_epoch)
1114 class_weight=class_weight,
1115 check_batch_axis=False,
-> 1116 batch_size=batch_size)
1117 # prepare validation data
1118 if validation_data:

/home/ubuntu/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/engine/training.pyc in _standardize_user_data(self, x, y, sample_weight, class_weight, check_batch_axis, batch_size)
1027 self.internal_input_shapes,
1028 check_batch_axis=False,
-> 1029 exception_prefix=ā€˜model inputā€™)
1030 y = standardize_input_data(y, self.output_names,
1031 output_shapes,

/home/ubuntu/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/engine/training.pyc in standardize_input_data(data, names, shapes, check_batch_axis, exception_prefix)
110 ā€™ to have ā€™ + str(len(shapes[i])) +
111 ā€™ dimensions, but got array with shape ā€™ +
ā€“> 112 str(array.shape))
113 for j, (dim, ref_dim) in enumerate(zip(array.shape, shapes[i])):
114 if not j and not check_batch_axis:

ValueError: Error when checking model input: expected embedding_input_1 to have 2 dimensions, but got array with shape (75110, 8, 1)

I actually encountered this error 3 different times in the lesson 6 notebook - the first above (Our first RNN with keras), the second being Sequence model with keras, and the third the Stateful model with keras. I am using Keras v. 1.2.2 with Theano 0.9.0rc4 on my AWS GPU instance (with the K80).

Has anyone else run into this, or have any ideas?

Thanks, Christina

Itā€™s rather hard to read that code. Perhaps you can put it in a code block? Start the block with:

```python

and end it with:

```

Or just put it in a gist.

Thanks, here it is:

n_hidden, n_fac, cs, vocab_size = (256, 42, 8, 86)

model=Sequential([
        Embedding(vocab_size, n_fac, input_length=cs),
        SimpleRNN(n_hidden, activation='relu', inner_init='identity'),
        Dense(vocab_size, activation='softmax')
    ])

model.compile(loss='sparse_categorical_crossentropy', optimizer=Adam())

This is straight out of the lesson 6 notebook.

Thanks, Christina :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In lesson6.ipynb, when building a 3 char model on ā€œNietzscheā€, @jeremy used non-overlapping sequences of characters for training.

cs=3
c1_dat = [idx[i] for i in xrange(0, len(idx)-1-cs, cs)]
c2_dat = [idx[i+1] for i in xrange(0, len(idx)-1-cs, cs)]
c3_dat = [idx[i+2] for i in xrange(0, len(idx)-1-cs, cs)]
c4_dat = [idx[i+3] for i in xrange(0, len(idx)-1-cs, cs)]

Why did he use non-overlapping sequences?
Using overlapping sequences might give us more training data as well as better context.

1 Like

I think the problem lies here

I changed it to

model.fit(np.concatenate(xs,axis=1), y, batch_size=64, nb_epoch=8)

np.stack adds another dimension to the input.

Join a sequence of arrays along a new axis.

The `axis` parameter specifies the index of the new axis in the dimensions
of the result. For example, if ``axis=0`` it will be the first dimension
and if ``axis=-1`` it will be the last dimension.

.. versionadded:: 1.10.0

Parameters
----------
arrays : sequence of array_like
    Each array must have the same shape.
axis : int, optional
    The axis in the result array along which the input arrays are stacked.

Returns
-------
stacked : ndarray
    The stacked array has one more dimension than the input arrays.

xs is a list 8 in length of 75110 row vectors

so I think the idea is to change the list into a matrix 75110 row x 8 columns hence the axis parameter of ā€˜1ā€™

I used np.concatenate(xs,1) which seems to correct the error

NOTE : this applies to the section Our first RNN with keras! At the time I did not complete the lesson. Now I have my own home box I am finishing of the lesson so please bear that in mind

3 Likes

@RogerS49 thanks so much! :slight_smile:

@Christine No Problem.

Why it was np.stack in the first place I have no idea. What has changed between when it was working and not, I am not sure either. I am using keras 1.2.2. and theano 0.8.2. I seem to be getting results in the same ball park as the downloaded notebook. I am not actually using cuda features so many parts of the notebooks are quite slow but mostly in this notebook I can get 60s epochs. I am not sure if I am getting getting floating point errors by not using a GPU or it could be down to randomness as nowhere do we set any seeds.

Anyway I guess the fix is legitimate, anyone care to comment.

EDIT: In the notebook section ā€˜One-hot sequence model with kerasā€™ using np.stack works okay

I am having same issue. Were you eventually able to predict anything else?
Thanks

Same problem here. Did you find the solution?