Part 2 Lesson 14 Wiki

Yeah you probably want to change the [0,2] to only contain numbers that actually correspond to GPU’s on your computer. Like, maybe [0,1]?

1 Like

Can he explain progressive resizing again? I don’t understand how to use it

1 Like

thanks … but yeah I had tried [0,0] and it didn’t help; [0,1] didn’t either.
I wonder how to find out what the correct values would be!!

Huh… I wonder if using load state_dict(strict=False) would work as a quick way to load weights from a pretrained model. Say: pretrained keras/tensflow retinanet, if you more/less match the architecture in pytorch.

1 Like

Also, can we use progressive resizing to match the idea of backbone + head?

Is that a checkerboard pattern on the bluejay?

3 Likes

where?

on the neck and head area of the bluejay it seemed to checkerboard.

1 Like

@rachel if there is a good time to fit this in, I’m curious if Jeremy has an explanation.
If not, no biggie!

1 Like

DONT DO A PhD. I was enrolled for two years and dropped out. More opportunities outside without a PhD.

3 Likes

Or at the very least if you do one, take everything your professors tell you with a grain of salt (they have no idea what goes on in the real world). And do as many industry internships / work part time as you can.

I have a PhD, and worked for 2 startups during my degrees. There’s still a definitely opportunity cost to spend that many years of your life. But if you go in with the understanding that your responsible for also ensuring your industry success afterwards, you can leverage it into some interesting skills beyond your specific subject area.

3 Likes

@matttrent I did internships in summer during my abortive PhD. Was very happy to leave with some work experience. :slight_smile:

Yes! And better to find that out 1-2 years in during your first internship than after 5+ :smiley:

What part of the journal publishing process would you place the blame on for having misleading stuff show up in published results?

1 Like

How would somebody get these masks for training initially? MTurk or something?

4 Likes

Seems like getting labelled data for segmentation would be really expensive. What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

Why did Jeremy upsample in StdUpSample?

oops, I meant in simple_up

An interesting piece of research on annotating segmentation datasets: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/polyrnn/

2 Likes

Will it improve if we use attention instead of “copy and crop” in the U-Net?

1 Like