Lesson 10 Discussion

Right - keras will handle that averaging when it does the mse or mae calculation.

1 Like

Thanks - how many did you get doing it that way? Itā€™s much better than the manual approach I used!

I get the same # of nouns but more synset matches.

I wonā€™t be able to train Devise on the entire imagenet because of hardware limitation. Can Jeremy (or somebody else) share the pretrained models? It seems pretty useful for a large number of applications.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone has experience deploying models? there is a thread Deploying models in production but I have not yet neeb able to get my questions answered

We do plan to release this, and other pre-trained models - might not be for a while though since I need to look at what needs to be included, and how to distribute.

3 Likes

Hi, I have a few questions re the DCGAN:

• what is the meaning of mode=2 in BatchNormalization? i didnā€™t find it on keras docsā€¦
  • what is the meaning of upsampling?
  • the results doesnt look so good, while in the papers they look betterā€¦ why is that so? will more training help?
  • It was said in the lecture that the difference between the standard GAN an the WGAN is small - only changing the loss function. can I do this change in the keras-DCGAN notebook and convert it to WGAN? iā€™ve tried to write a custom loss function like so to start with,

def custom_loss(y_true, y_pred):
y_pred = K.clip(y_pred, epsilon, 1.0-epsilon)
out = -(y_true * K.log(y_pred) + (1.0 - y_true) * K.log(1.0 - y_pred))
return K.mean(out, axis=-1)

and use it with

CNN_D.compile(Adam(1e-3), custom_loss)

but it didnā€™t seem to workā€¦

Is there something like model.summary() in pyTorch? I couldnā€™t find it on the documentation. I tried model.type, which gives you something like (see below). But I am missing the info on the shape of each output, like (None, 28, 28, 512) or similar. Any ideas?

(main): Sequential (
    (initial-100.512.convt): ConvTranspose2d(100, 512, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(1, 1), bias=False)
    (initial-512.batchnorm): BatchNorm2d(512, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True)
    (initial-512.relu): ReLU (inplace)
    (pyramid-512.256.convt): ConvTranspose2d(512, 256, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
    (pyramid-256.batchnorm): BatchNorm2d(256, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True)
    (pyramid-256.relu): ReLU (inplace)
    (pyramid-256.128.convt): ConvTranspose2d(256, 128, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
    (pyramid-128.batchnorm): BatchNorm2d(128, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True)
    (pyramid-128.relu): ReLU (inplace)
    (pyramid-128.64.convt): ConvTranspose2d(128, 64, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
    (pyramid-64.batchnorm): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True)
    (pyramid-64.relu): ReLU (inplace)
    (extra-0-64.64.convt): ConvTranspose2d(64, 64, kernel_size=(3, 3), stride=(1, 1), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
    (extra-0-64.batchnorm): BatchNorm2d(64, eps=1e-05, momentum=0.1, affine=True)
    (extra-0-64.relu): ReLU (inplace)
    (final.64-3.convt): ConvTranspose2d(64, 3, kernel_size=(4, 4), stride=(2, 2), padding=(1, 1), bias=False)
    (final.3.tanh): Tanh ()
  )
)>

Theyā€™ve removed mode from the BatchNormalization layer in Keras.

1 Like

I found if you go

for p in model.parameters(): print(p.data);  

you get a printout of the parameters (all weights, X_train and y_train) which live in the GPU. Pretty cool, pyTorch.
Still, not quite what I wanted.

1 Like

Is anyone seeing 4-6x speedups after installing pillow-simd? Iā€™m not and wondering why.

I get similar runtimes for pillow and pillow-simdā€“about 35 microseconds for the following code:

import PIL
print (PIL.PILLOW_VERSION) #4.0.0.post0 (simd) or 4.0.0 (pillow)
img = Image.open(fnames[0])
%timeit img.resize((224,224))

Hereā€™s how I installed pillow-simd:

pip uninstall pillow
CC="cc -mavx2" pip install -U --force-reinstall pillow-simd

Any thoughts?

One question for the neural-sr notebook. In the below code, I think the intention is to use preproc Lambda function as the input into VGG16, so that input can be preprocessed prior to VGG layers.

vgg_inp=Input(shp)
vgg= VGG16(include_top=False, input_tensor=Lambda(preproc)(vgg_inp))

However, in keras.applicaitons.vgg16.VGG16 source code (around line 125), I found the below lines:

if input_tensor is not None:
    inputs = get_source_inputs(input_tensor)

What get_source_inputs function does is to trace back from the input tensor back to the original input, which is vgg_inp in this case. As a result, the VGG model created is actually using vgg_inp rather than using the preproc input.

I am wondering whether I understood this correctly here?

I also generated a visualized model, and from the graph, I donā€™t see the preproc input either.

You can find the full visualized model here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfDHLmb4-cfZG1sSFRZYmdqTDQ/view?usp=sharing . The preview is a bit messy but you should be able to read. Or, you can download the file and open it with a browser for a nicer view. The above-mentioned layers are near the end (i.e. inputs to model_2, here no preproc is shown).

2 Likes

I seem to be missing something down the line of WGAN loss functions: The two main changes to convert a DCGAN into WGAN are

1. Change loss function to mse

2. Clip weight parameters in netD to the interval [-0.01, 0.01]

What I donā€™t understand is at which point you change the loss function from crossentropy to mse?
Is it for the generator G or the discriminator D or the whole model M? Or combinations thereof? My understanding of pytorch so far didnā€™t allow me to read it from the source code of WGAN.ipynb / dcgan.py.

One more question regarding notebook neural-sr:

In the paper, it mentions that the loss function is ā€œEuclidean distance between feature representationsā€, or ā€œsquared Frobenius normā€. Basically that means the loss function is the squared differences (rather than square root)

Is there a reason why in our notebook we are using square root of the mean square differences:

Since later we are using ā€˜maeā€™ rather than ā€˜mseā€™ as the optimizer, it means that we never used the ā€œsquareā€ version of the calculation as proposed in the paper.

I am confused here when to use the square version, and when to use the square root version? Obviously, the square version of the loss function produces a much larger loss (in the magnitude of tens of millions).

1 Like

I canā€™t quite get one difference in the training procedure of DCGAN vs. WGAN:
In DCGAN you train

gl.append(m.train_on_batch(noise(bs), np.zeros([bs])))

with m being Model([generator, discriminator])
So, you train the generator through the whole model.

In WGAN you train first the discriminator for a couple of epochs and then you train the generator directly

make_trainable(netD, False)
            netG.zero_grad()
            errG = step_D(netG(create_noise(bs)), one)
            optimizerG.step()
            gen_iterations += 1

What does this difference come from?

1 Like

Theyā€™re the same - in the keras dcgan the discriminator is first set to non-trainable.

No reason - although I doubt it makes any significant difference. Feel free to try removing it and let us know if you find any impact! :slight_smile:

Well thatā€™s intriguing! Do you want to see if you can come up with an approach that works correctly, and see what (if any) impact it has?

I actually tried, and the square version didnā€™t train. The square root version does. I am wondering why :innocent:

1 Like

Maybe the numbers got too big, so the gradients didnā€™t make sense given float32 restrictions? What if you divide by some really big constant?

Your issue sounds vaguely familiar - I think maybe I did try that and put the sqrt() in after that problemā€¦

1 Like