Lesson 1 discussion

I’m getting run time errors when running lesson 1 code. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I have the same question! I already asked it in YouTube comments as well as in this forum in another topic. If I get an answer over there I’ll let you know.

Are you running this at your local machine or on AWS? Try to set the batch size to a smaller number if you do not have a GPU with lots of memory.

I didn’t see any css. what part?

Thanks @Matthew . There’s no mention of that notebook in the wiki.

I’m running it on my local machine. I have NVIDIA GTX965 4GB . I had changed the batch size from 64 to 32 to 16 but it makes no difference.

I would have thought that my GPU could handle this relatively undemanding task.

Reducing the batch size actually worked. I just forgot to re run the preceding code segments. I had the batch size set to 16 at that point and it took about 8 minutes to process. I will try with a larger batch sizes of 32.

Thanks for the tip, Maxim.

1 Like

@dhatawesomedude what are you talking about? Issue is resolved though. By uploading the downloaded file.

@altmbr . My bad. I think I replied the wrong post.

@jeremy I have worked through lesson one successfully. My jupyter notebook will effectively classify the cats vs. dogs data set with 97% accuracy as described in the video. I am trying to run the Vgg16 model on a data set of my own. I structured the directories to mimic that of the dogscats directory. The images show up as expected under the plots(imgs, titles=labels) line. However, the predicted labels are not the names of my two directories. Do I understand correctly that Vgg16 is pre-trained to recognize only images contained on ImageNet? The images I am trying to use are not from ImageNet.

If that is the case, do you have suggestions or resources on how to train Vgg16 (or something similar) for a set of images not contained on ImageNet.

I am running aws p2 and am using an AWS server.

Pop the last dense layer and add one with the number of categories in your set. Most of the course is about fine tuning and transfer learning, which is what you are looking for.

take a look at this https://github.com/dunovank/jupyter-themes

to do predictions with your own labels, you need to do 2 things. firstly, put your test data in directory under /test/unknown/, where /test is in the same level as /train, /valid, /sample. secondly, you need to set test_path, and pass that into a vgg.test function.
batches, preds = vgg.test(test_path, batch_size=batch_size*2)

See “Generate Predictions” section in notebook dogs_cats_redux.ipynb

1 Like

I’m getting this error, which no one else in this thread has gotten ^_^;; so I must be in the wrong. However I’m running the notebook as-is. I setup tensorflow using docker, got all the libs installed, etc. The error:

“ValueError: Negative dimension size caused by subtracting 2 from 1 for ‘MaxPool_19’ (op: ‘MaxPool’) with input shapes: [?,1,112,128].”

ValueErrorTraceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-57-2b6861506a11> in <module>()
----> 1 vgg = Vgg16()
      2 # Grab a few images at a time for training and validation.
      3 # NB: They must be in subdirectories named based on their category
      4 batches = vgg.get_batches(path+'train', batch_size=batch_size)
      5 val_batches = vgg.get_batches(path+'valid', batch_size=batch_size*2)

/notebooks/courses/deeplearning1/nbs/vgg16.py in __init__(self)
     31     def __init__(self):
     32         self.FILE_PATH = 'http://www.platform.ai/models/'
---> 33         self.create()
     34         self.get_classes()

/notebooks/courses/deeplearning1/nbs/vgg16.py in create(self)
     70         self.ConvBlock(2, 64)
---> 71         self.ConvBlock(2, 128)
     72         self.ConvBlock(3, 256)
     73         self.ConvBlock(3, 512)

/notebooks/courses/deeplearning1/nbs/vgg16.py in ConvBlock(self, layers, filters)
     55             model.add(ZeroPadding2D((1, 1)))
     56             model.add(Convolution2D(filters, 3, 3, activation='relu'))
---> 57         model.add(MaxPooling2D((2, 2), strides=(2, 2)))

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/models.pyc in add(self, layer)
    330                  output_shapes=[self.outputs[0]._keras_shape])
    331         else:
--> 332             output_tensor = layer(self.outputs[0])
    333             if isinstance(output_tensor, list):
    334                 raise TypeError('All layers in a Sequential model '

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/engine/topology.pyc in __call__(self, x, mask)
    570         if inbound_layers:
    571             # This will call layer.build() if necessary.
--> 572             self.add_inbound_node(inbound_layers, node_indices, tensor_indices)
    573             # Outputs were already computed when calling self.add_inbound_node.
    574             outputs = self.inbound_nodes[-1].output_tensors

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/engine/topology.pyc in add_inbound_node(self, inbound_layers, node_indices, tensor_indices)
    633         # creating the node automatically updates self.inbound_nodes
    634         # as well as outbound_nodes on inbound layers.
--> 635         Node.create_node(self, inbound_layers, node_indices, tensor_indices)
    637     def get_output_shape_for(self, input_shape):

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/engine/topology.pyc in create_node(cls, outbound_layer, inbound_layers, node_indices, tensor_indices)
    165         if len(input_tensors) == 1:
--> 166             output_tensors = to_list(outbound_layer.call(input_tensors[0], mask=input_masks[0]))
    167             output_masks = to_list(outbound_layer.compute_mask(input_tensors[0], input_masks[0]))
    168             # TODO: try to auto-infer shape

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/layers/pooling.pyc in call(self, x, mask)
    158                                         strides=self.strides,
    159                                         border_mode=self.border_mode,
--> 160                                         dim_ordering=self.dim_ordering)
    161         return output

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/layers/pooling.pyc in _pooling_function(self, inputs, pool_size, strides, border_mode, dim_ordering)
    208         output = K.pool2d(inputs, pool_size, strides,
    209                           border_mode, dim_ordering,
--> 210                           pool_mode='max')
    211         return output

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/keras/backend/tensorflow_backend.pyc in pool2d(x, pool_size, strides, border_mode, dim_ordering, pool_mode)
   2785     if pool_mode == 'max':
-> 2786         x = tf.nn.max_pool(x, pool_size, strides, padding=padding)
   2787     elif pool_mode == 'avg':
   2788         x = tf.nn.avg_pool(x, pool_size, strides, padding=padding)

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/nn_ops.pyc in max_pool(value, ksize, strides, padding, data_format, name)
   1615                                 padding=padding,
   1616                                 data_format=data_format,
-> 1617                                 name=name)

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/gen_nn_ops.pyc in _max_pool(input, ksize, strides, padding, data_format, name)
   1596   result = _op_def_lib.apply_op("MaxPool", input=input, ksize=ksize,
   1597                                 strides=strides, padding=padding,
-> 1598                                 data_format=data_format, name=name)
   1599   return result

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/op_def_library.pyc in apply_op(self, op_type_name, name, **keywords)
    757         op = g.create_op(op_type_name, inputs, output_types, name=scope,
    758                          input_types=input_types, attrs=attr_protos,
--> 759                          op_def=op_def)
    760         if output_structure:
    761           outputs = op.outputs

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.pyc in create_op(self, op_type, inputs, dtypes, input_types, name, attrs, op_def, compute_shapes, compute_device)
   2240                     original_op=self._default_original_op, op_def=op_def)
   2241     if compute_shapes:
-> 2242       set_shapes_for_outputs(ret)
   2243     self._add_op(ret)
   2244     self._record_op_seen_by_control_dependencies(ret)

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.pyc in set_shapes_for_outputs(op)
   1615       shape_func = _call_cpp_shape_fn_and_require_op
-> 1617   shapes = shape_func(op)
   1618   if shapes is None:
   1619     raise RuntimeError(

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/ops.pyc in call_with_requiring(op)
   1567   def call_with_requiring(op):
-> 1568     return call_cpp_shape_fn(op, require_shape_fn=True)
   1570   _call_cpp_shape_fn_and_require_op = call_with_requiring

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/common_shapes.pyc in call_cpp_shape_fn(op, input_tensors_needed, input_tensors_as_shapes_needed, debug_python_shape_fn, require_shape_fn)
    608     res = _call_cpp_shape_fn_impl(op, input_tensors_needed,
    609                                   input_tensors_as_shapes_needed,
--> 610                                   debug_python_shape_fn, require_shape_fn)
    611     if not isinstance(res, dict):
    612       # Handles the case where _call_cpp_shape_fn_impl calls unknown_shape(op).

/root/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tensorflow/python/framework/common_shapes.pyc in _call_cpp_shape_fn_impl(op, input_tensors_needed, input_tensors_as_shapes_needed, debug_python_shape_fn, require_shape_fn)
    673       missing_shape_fn = True
    674     else:
--> 675       raise ValueError(err.message)
    677   if missing_shape_fn:

ValueError: Negative dimension size caused by subtracting 2 from 1 for 'MaxPool_19' (op: 'MaxPool') with input shapes: [?,1,112,128].

Any ideas? I’m running all code as-is, and tried decreasing batch size to 32, 16, 8, no change. Also tried with the sample dataset instead of the full one, no change, still get the same error. =\

You should use theano as a backend, not tensorflow. You are getting the error because the different image array ordering. https://keras.io/backend/

@haresenpai Please check the values in your .theanorc file. You can also scroll up and see more details about this issue.

Thanks for the hint =). I was able to get it working by changing the image_dim_ordering parameter in .keras to th (since the notebook code was written with that in mind) while keeping the backend tensoflow.

This part of the docs helped:

For 2D data (e.g. image), “tf” assumes (rows, cols, channels) while “th” assumes (channels, rows, cols).
For 3D data, “tf” assumes (conv_dim1, conv_dim2, conv_dim3, channels) while “th” assumes (channels, conv_dim1, conv_dim2, conv_dim3).

2 Likes

Ok, so for this class, I reinstalled Mint on my laptop. However, every time I turn off my laptop and try to get started again, I have to re “source aws-alias.sh”. Is there a smarter way, so I dont have to every time?

Thanks,
Dan

add ‘source {directory_name}/aws-alias.sh’ to ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile

1 Like

I’ve set up the t2 and p2 instances. I’ve got the juypter notebooks running. I’m not sure if I should be downloading Cats vs. Dogs or the redux version? Also the video shows the data coming from platform which I understand doesn’t exist anymore. And/or the structure of the data has changed since then.

Where and how do I get the right data for lesson 1?