Lesson 1 discussion

finetune comes from cars and engines - and it usually means to adapt the car/engine better to your needs - most of the time more power - by taking the adjustable bits in the engine and tuning them “finely” - as opposed to the “rough” tune from the factory

that being said, I think it is completely intuitive the way it is used.

There is one typo at http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/Lesson_1, homework, Item 9: “don’t forget the utils.py, vgg26.py files etc” -> it should be vgg16.py

Hi guys. I’m beginning to follow Part 1. Till now, I succeeded in setting up a local linux box with gpu, cloned the course repository, and started to gnaw at lesson 1.

Two small questions:

1. Although we use anaconda, the setup script uses pip to install packages, and not conda. Why?

2. I noticed that utils.py does contain a world of code. Will it be explained in due time, or we keep using that stuff as a tool? I understand that this is a top-down course, but I’d like to understand what happens behind the scenes.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Coming back to this after a long hiatus. I keep getting a ‘dead kernel’ warning when I try to create a Vgg16() object

vgg = Vgg16()

I’ve downloaded the weights and thrown them in a “models” folder and then directed the vgg16.py file to them, in case that was the reason the kernel was dying. That didn’t fix it. Anyone else run into this/ know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Update: it’s the h5 file that’s causing it to crash… not sure why. has anyone else had success recently in a p2 instance?

Update 2: changing from gpu to cpu in the .theanorc file fixed it… but this seems less than ideal if we want to use the gpu. re: https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow/issues/916

Hi everyone,

just a newbie question. vgg16 already has weights from Imagenet build in. So when we are training it with cats and dogs images, what are we doing to these pre-trained weights?

Thank you.

Cant’ get 97% accuracy (using Windows and Tensorflow backend)

Does everyone easily get to 97% accuracy on lesson 1 and 2? I get around 90% at most.

I tried a few learning rates going as low as 3E-5. While loss and precision progress as we normally expect when doing backprop, it always stabilizes around

Loss: 0.2302 - acc: 0.9100 - val_loss: 0.1540 - val_acc: 0.9340

And I went up to 150 Epochs…

I have to admit I am running this on a Windows PC with Python 3.6 and Tensorlfow as the backend. My hunch is that I have my channels wrong or something like that.

I did modify the source code according to quite a few posts about it lying around in the forums.

So I did include stuff like:
K.set_image_dim_ordering('th')
in the code for vgg16.py

and I also have
%matplotlib inline
from keras import backend
backend.set_image_dim_ordering(‘th’)
As my first cell in the notebook.

Included is the graphI see in Tensorboard. The top layers don’t look like what I would expect: The dense_3 node, which I deduct is the layer we pop to fine tune, is dangling up there sending it’s output to no one. dense_4 is outputting a 2 label tensor so that bit looks OK. But maybe that is Keras doing normal extra internal stuff on what I define.

Did I miss anything?

Here is my code below. Any hints on what else I should check?

from __future__ import division, print_function

import os, json
from IPython.display import display
from math import ceil
from glob import glob
import numpy as np
from scipy import misc, ndimage
from scipy.ndimage.interpolation import zoom

from keras import backend as K
from keras.layers.normalization import BatchNormalization
from keras.callbacks import TensorBoard
from keras.utils.data_utils import get_file
from keras.models import Sequential
from keras.layers.core import Flatten, Dense, Dropout, Lambda
from keras.layers.convolutional import Conv2D, MaxPooling2D, ZeroPadding2D  # Conv2D: Keras2
from keras.layers.pooling import GlobalAveragePooling2D
from keras.optimizers import SGD, RMSprop, Adam
from keras.preprocessing import image

# In case we are going to use the TensorFlow backend we need to explicitly set the Theano image ordering

K.set_image_dim_ordering('th')

vgg_mean = np.array([123.68, 116.779, 103.939], dtype=np.float32).reshape((3,1,1))
def vgg_preprocess(x):
    """
        Subtracts the mean RGB value, and transposes RGB to BGR.
        The mean RGB was computed on the image set used to train the VGG model.
        Args: 
            x: Image array (height x width x channels)
        Returns:
            Image array (height x width x transposed_channels)
    """
    x = x - vgg_mean
    return x[:, ::-1] # reverse axis rgb->bgr

class Vgg16():
    """
        The VGG 16 Imagenet model
    """

def __init__(self):
        self.FILE_PATH = 'http://files.fast.ai/models/'
        self.create()
        self.get_classes()

def get_classes(self):
        """
            Downloads the Imagenet classes index file and loads it to self.classes.
            The file is downloaded only if it not already in the cache.
        """
        fname = 'imagenet_class_index.json'
        fpath = get_file(fname, self.FILE_PATH+fname, cache_subdir='models')
        with open(fpath) as f:
            class_dict = json.load(f)
        self.classes = [class_dict[str(i)][1] for i in range(len(class_dict))]

def predict(self, imgs, details=False):
        """
            Predict the labels of a set of images using the VGG16 model.
            Args:
                imgs (ndarray)    : An array of N images (size: N x width x height x channels).
                details : ??

Returns:
                preds (np.array) : Highest confidence value of the predictions for each image.
                idxs (np.ndarray): Class index of the predictions with the max confidence.
                classes (list)   : Class labels of the predictions with the max confidence.
        """
        # predict probability of each class for each image
        all_preds = self.model.predict(imgs)
        # for each image get the index of the class with max probability
        idxs = np.argmax(all_preds, axis=1)
        # get the values of the highest probability for each image
        preds = [all_preds[i, idxs[i]] for i in range(len(idxs))]
        # get the label of the class with the highest probability for each image
        classes = [self.classes[idx] for idx in idxs]
        return np.array(preds), idxs, classes

def ConvBlock(self, layers, filters):
        """
            Adds a specified number of ZeroPadding and Covolution layers
            to the model, and a MaxPooling layer at the very end.
            Args:
                layers (int):   The number of zero padded convolution layers
                                to be added to the model.
                filters (int):  The number of convolution filters to be 
                                created for each layer.
        """
        model = self.model
        for i in range(layers):
            model.add(ZeroPadding2D((1, 1)))
            #model.add(Convolution2D(filters, (3, 3), activation='relu'))
            model.add(Conv2D(filters, kernel_size=(3, 3), activation='relu'))  # Keras2
        model.add(MaxPooling2D((2, 2), strides=(2, 2)))

def FCBlock(self):
        """
            Adds a fully connected layer of 4096 neurons to the model with a
            Dropout of 0.5
            Args:   None
            Returns:   None
        """
        model = self.model
        model.add(Dense(4096, activation='relu'))
        model.add(Dropout(0.5))

def create(self):
        """
            Creates the VGG16 network achitecture and loads the pretrained weights.
            Args:   None
            Returns:   None
        """
        model = self.model = Sequential()
        model.add(Lambda(vgg_preprocess, input_shape=(3,224,224), output_shape=(3,224,224)))

self.ConvBlock(2, 64)
        self.ConvBlock(2, 128)
        self.ConvBlock(3, 256)
        self.ConvBlock(3, 512)
        self.ConvBlock(3, 512)

model.add(Flatten())
        self.FCBlock()
        self.FCBlock()
        model.add(Dense(1000, activation='softmax'))

fname = 'vgg16.h5'
        model.load_weights(get_file(fname, self.FILE_PATH+fname, cache_subdir='models'))

def get_batches(self, path, gen=image.ImageDataGenerator(), shuffle=True, batch_size=8, class_mode='categorical'):
        """
            Takes the path to a directory, and generates batches of augmented/normalized data. Yields batches indefinitely, in an infinite loop.
            See Keras documentation: https://keras.io/preprocessing/image/
        """
        return gen.flow_from_directory(path, target_size=(224,224),
                class_mode=class_mode, shuffle=shuffle, batch_size=batch_size)

def ft(self, num):
        """
            Replace the last layer of the model with a Dense (fully connected) layer of num neurons.
            Will also lock the weights of all layers except the new layer so that we only learn
            weights for the last layer in subsequent training.
            Args:
                num (int) : Number of neurons in the Dense layer
            Returns:
                None
        """
        model = self.model
        model.pop()
        for layer in model.layers: layer.trainable=False
        model.add(Dense(num, activation='softmax'))
        self.compile()

def finetune(self, batches):
        """
            Modifies the original VGG16 network architecture and updates self.classes for new training data.

Args:
                batches : A keras.preprocessing.image.ImageDataGenerator object.
                          See definition for get_batches().
        """
        self.ft(batches.num_class)
        classes = list(iter(batches.class_indices)) # get a list of all the class labels

# batches.class_indices is a dict with the class name as key and an index as value
        # eg. {'cats': 0, 'dogs': 1}

# sort the class labels by index according to batches.class_indices and update model.classes
        for c in batches.class_indices:
            classes[batches.class_indices[c]] = c
        self.classes = classes

def compile(self, lr=0.00003):
        """
            Configures the model for training.
            See Keras documentation: https://keras.io/models/model/
        """
        self.model.compile(optimizer=Adam(lr=lr),
                loss='categorical_crossentropy', metrics=['accuracy'])

def fit_data(self, trn, labels,  val, val_labels,  nb_epoch=1, batch_size=64):
        """
            Trains the model for a fixed number of epochs (iterations on a dataset).
        """
        self.model.fit(trn, labels, epochs=nb_epoch,
                validation_data=(val, val_labels), batch_size=batch_size)

def fit(self, batches, val_batches, nb_epoch=1):
        """
            Fits the model on data yielded batch-by-batch by a Python generator.
        """
        display("Yes2")
        tbCallBack = TensorBoard(log_dir='./Graph', histogram_freq=1, batch_size=batches.batch_size, write_graph=True, write_grads=True,write_images=True)
        self.model.fit_generator(batches, steps_per_epoch=ceil(batches.samples/batches.batch_size), epochs=nb_epoch,
                validation_data=val_batches, validation_steps=ceil(val_batches.samples/val_batches.batch_size),
                callbacks=[tbCallBack])

def test(self, path, batch_size=8):
        """
            Predicts the classes using the trained model on data yielded batch-by-batch.
            Args:
                path (string):  Path to the target directory. It should contain one subdirectory
                                per class.
                batch_size (int): The number of images to be considered in each batch.

Returns:
                test_batches, numpy array(s) of predictions for the test_batches.

"""
        test_batches = self.get_batches(path, shuffle=False, batch_size=batch_size, class_mode=None)
        return test_batches, self.model.predict_generator(test_batches,
                ceil(test_batches.samples/test_batches.batch_size))
1 Like

It’s well explained in the lesson 1 notebook. In a nutshell, when you call finetune() you alter the model thus:

1. Remove the last layer of vgg16 which outputs the 1000 labels of the classification with a softmax
  2. Make all remaining layers untrainable (the weights are frozen, no backprop is done on them)
  3. Add a new layer with softmax which outputs the CAT or DOG prediction.

To see if it’s overfitting compare this accuracy with the validation set accuracy which is printed when the epoch is done. The difference should not be to big. For example if with your results, val_accuracy is 0.80 you are overfitting.

To save the model use
vgg.model.save("your_filename.h5")

I use this in a call in the notebook so I don’t know how to do it after every epoch in the code. But if I wanted to do it, I’d first check to see if it can be added to the callbacks= parameter in model.fit_generator. (But maybe I am dead wrong!)

Hello Jeremy, Rachel. Thank you very much for such wonderful course!
I found that retyping the code on my own really works - start understanding things.
I stucked a little on line:
imgs, labels = next(batches)
So I drilled down to gen.flow_from_directory function, looked up keras documentation. However still cant figure out this line of code. What it does?
Thank you!

It returns the next batch of images with their labels. So if your batch size was defined as 5, it returns 5 images and their one hot encoded labels vector.

def get_batches(self, path, gen=image.ImageDataGenerator(), shuffle=True, batch_size=8, class_mode='categorical'):
        """
            Takes the path to a directory, and generates batches of augmented/normalized data. Yields batches indefinitely, in an infinite loop.
            See Keras documentation: https://keras.io/preprocessing/image/
        """
        return gen.flow_from_directory(path, target_size=(224,224),
                class_mode=class_mode, shuffle=shuffle, batch_size=batch_size)

This is where it is all setup. “gen” is an ImageDataGenerator object. When get_batches() returns gen.flow_from_directory(...) it is assigned to the variable batches upon which you then iterate by calling next(). Each time you call next() you get batch_size number of images and batch_size number of one hot encoded vectors which represents the category of the image (dog or cat). You can loop indefinitely upon the ImageDataGenerator and it will always keep returning 4 images.

All this is used to endlessly loop over the training set during training.

Now there are many ways to get data out of an ImageDataGenerator and flow_from_directory is one of them. You can check the other ways in the ImageDataGenerator documentation.

Hope this helps!

Louis

2 Likes

Slava, see my reply just above. (pressed the wrong reply button)

1 Like

Thank you a lot Louis, now I got it. Very helpful! :+1:

Have you figured out how to iterate to the next batch? I am running into the same problem.

in fit(), model.fit_generator automaticallly calls batches until it has run the specified number of epochs.

Thanks for the quick reply Louis. I looked into the vgg16.py file and decided to use the function “vgg.test” instead of “vgg.predict”, which calls the predict_generator instead of flow_from_directory. Jeremy said in the lecture that prediction can be done in batches also, I’m curious on how that works. If we are predicting the test set without labels, shouldn’t we use predict_generator instead of fit_generator?

predict_generator() requires a generator objects and predict() a numpy array. So both are ok depending on what you want to pass along.

But check carefully: predict_generator() uses test_batches which comes from get_batches() which returns a generator (test_batches) which is getting it’s data from flow_from_directory. :wink:

Hello,

I have the following error. I want to load the already saved weights and test on the test_path which contains 12500 pictures. And I have the following error.

If I run exactly the same code on valid_path it will work
batches, preds = vgg.test(valid_path, batch_size = batch_size*2)
Found 2000 images belonging to 2 classes.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong … I really appreciate your help.

I would guess that in your test_path, you didn’t create a pseudo class for test data.
Both train and validation data have sub-directories for classes, i.e. cats and dogs. All images are under the subdirectories.
I think the get_batches() function assume such structure when it fetches data.
To solve the issue, try create such directory:
test/fakeclass/
And put all images under it.

I’m trying to install git after ssh’ing to an aws instance:

However, I get the following error when running sudo apt-get install git:

buntu@ip-10-0-0-6:~$ sudo apt-get install git
│Reading package lists… Done
│Building dependency tree
│Reading state information… Done
│The following extra packages will be installed:
│ git-man liberror-perl
│Suggested packages:
│ git-daemon-run git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk
│ gitweb git-arch git-bzr git-cvs git-mediawiki git-svn
│The following NEW packages will be installed:
│ git git-man liberror-perl
│0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 53 not upgraded.
│Need to get 3,285 kB/3,306 kB of archives.
│After this operation, 21.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
│Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
│Err http://us-west-2.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main git-man
│ all 1:1.9.1-1ubuntu0.3
│ 404 Not Found [IP: 34.212.136.213 80]
│Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main git-man all 1:1.9.1
│-1ubuntu0.3
│ 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.152 80]
│Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main git amd64 1:1.9.1-1
│ubuntu0.3
│ 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.152 80]
│E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/git/git-man_1.
│9.1-1ubuntu0.3_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.152 80]

│E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/git/git_1.9.1-
│1ubuntu0.3_amd64.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.152 80]

│E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-mi
│ssing?

Hi, Jeremy

appreciate if you could explain a little bit about VGG16, what is 16 referring to?