Is arvix.org an aggregator of research papers?

(Aseem Bansal) #1

I have seen arvix being quoted on a lot of websites. I am not sure why Cornell University’s website is so famous. I just wanted to know if there is any specific reason for that?

(Rachel Thomas) #2

Anyone can post a paper to arxiv.org (without going through the lengthy process of submitting to a traditional journal and going through peer review) so research appears much more quickly, and everything is open (unlike many traditional journal which require paid subscriptions).

The speed and open-access aspects of arxiv are have what made it so popular, and have had a big impact on many areas of research. (Note that some would consider the lack of peer-review to be a downside).

(Aseem Bansal) #3

So it’s Github for research papers. Use if you want but at your own risk. Thanks.

If you’re interested, here is an account of Arxiv’s history:
http://ezramagazine.cornell.edu/FALL12/CoverStorySidebar2.html

(Rob Forgione) #5

@rachel have you noticed any degradation in the quality of papers based on the open nature of the platform? My initial guess would be that the journal/peer review process is overly conservative/slow, but do you think arxiv risks going too far to the other extreme? As someone who doesn’t have a PhD it’s sometimes harder for me to pick up on the weaknesses of a paper, especially at first, so wondering if this is something to think about when considering papers on arxiv.