In-class discussion: Introductory workshop

http://course.fast.ai/start.html

Thatā€™s a link to the getting started page; the AWS setup video is worth watching and very helpful, but will be somewhat different this year due to the new software setup (so donā€™t actually install the AMI, for example)

3 Likes

@yinterian Will Slack be used for communicating for this course or will everything be done through this forum ?

I remember @jeremy saying we would use discourse (this forum) for all the discussions and communications. If you want mobile access to forum you can download the discourse app and link forums.fast.ai to stay connected.

2 Likes

Hello world!

I like this guide in particular because it discusses how to setup SSH with no password.

This is awesome because I can login my rig from anywhere and still use my mac :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who contributed code snippets, links, etc to this discussion. The next step is to get all this stuff consolidated into the wiki thread, which is here: Wiki thread: Intro workshop . Anyone who has a moment and is interested in reviewing what was shared during the lesson, please help us by copying useful snippets from this thread into the wiki thread - thanks! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Any update on this possibility @jeremy?

I donā€™t have any particular connections there in appropriate places to ask for this. If anyone here does, feel free to ask!

1 Like

In the video lecture Jeremy mentioned ā€œwithout SLIā€, I think.

Python Resource

1 Like

Hello @jeremy . This is a response I got from Nik regarding the GitHub Students Pack. Please see if you could mail him at support@github.com. Please mention that the mail is directed to Nik.

7 Likes

Thanks @labeebee. If you PM me an email to send him, Iā€™ll do so. (Iā€™m snowed under right now so sorry to ask for your help with this!)

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,
I will be in the classroom today at 5:30pm. I can answer any questions you have from the introductory workshop.

Best,
Yannet

1 Like

AWS key-pair setup
"Move your *pem file to a save place such as directory .ssh", how to do that ?

mkdir .ssh (if the directory doesnā€™t exist in home)
mv <your .pem file> .ssh/

1 Like

I got this error while SSHing
sumanths-MacBook-Pro:~ sumanthnandamuri$ ssh -i .ssh/fastai.pem.txt ubuntu@54.237.97.183
ssh: connect to host 54.237.97.183 port 22: Connection refused

I think that is because of proxy for my internet connection, someone please help me resolve this issue i.e how to make ssh work with an internet connection with proxy ??

Hi Ankit,

In my case my key file is downloaded in the windows download folder. How can I move it to the .ssh in ubuntu using powershell?

Once this is done I can run ssh -i .ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@AWS IP xx.xxx.xx.xxx

Anyone faced same issue.

Rgrds,

@ravimahar
Do copy the contents of the the aws_key_pair file in Windows by opening it in a suitable editorā€¦
After that,
in WSL type

'$>touch <aws_key_file_name>.pem 
in the .ssh/ directory (as in the video)
$>nano <same_file_name.pem> followed by a left-click
and then ctrl+X and Y
$>cd ..
$> ssh command..'

Mission Accomplishedā€¦
Hope it helpsā€¦

Thanks Aditya. I did as instructed but getting below error.

ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$ touch DL-1.pem
ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$ nano DL-1.pem

ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$ cat DL-1.pem
-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
MIIEpAIBAAKCAQEA4aZyET02r1mXewgf/l0vNNzmh1dYK2LsiVUWf9nKsZkxA9zY9oZfUsr+mXyv
02pGm1P3Q3P4st8LLc7TvepMaZ+/xiTc1IFbIuepQIfXNnEcdoW2aPhwoE2YC8epXzYAzjgJGXVn
0NBqij3RImeFiagW2tIJACtB5EdQXh7ZibF9SGuUlHi9TBstRvW/eHrXY9WrewKt/OcsaA==
-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$ chmod 400 DL-1.pem
ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$ ssh -i .ssh/DL-1.pem ubuntu@34.227.16.190
Warning: Identity file .ssh/DL-1.pem not accessible: No such file or directory.
The authenticity of host ā€˜34.227.16.190 (34.227.16.190)ā€™ canā€™t be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is 81:f0:bb:24:f5:cc:77:5d:28:9f:f4:60:ec:17:68:79.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added ā€˜34.227.16.190ā€™ (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).
ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$ ssh ubuntu@34.227.16.190
Permission denied (publickey).
ravs@RAVS:~/.ssh$

File name must match with AWS one when downloadedā€¦(not completely sure)
Also Checkout the Thread for AWS problemā€¦
Solution is thereā€¦