How has your journey been so far, learners?

Definitely @jeremyphoward and @math_rachel. I also really like @Smerity.

I too got a Handleā€¦! Vishutcyrus

If you check out my favorited tweets (Iā€™m jeremyphoward) you can see who tweeted the stuff that you find interesting there, and follow them. Also, be sure to follow me, so I can DM you on twitter. Welcome to the twitter ML community!

And @kevinb has excellent tasteā€¦

4 Likes

twitter is my main source of all news ML/DL/CV - also the best for political quipsā€¦
oh, and i am @glagolista there

Hello everyoneā€¦ I am a Software Engineer by profession looking to step into the Deep Learning world. A big thanks to @jeremy and @rachel for this course. I am doing my exploration on Data Science by surfing the web here and there, attended a workshop @ Stanford etc., But nothing beats this course. I am deeply inspired by how @jeremy shows the best techniques to achieve state of the art results. As a software engineer I have worked on some interesting problems like Query understanding and Title optimization using computer science techniques like Fuzzy String matching, Language models etc., but felt like i can tackle these problems much better with knowlege of Deep Learning.

Apart from professional work, I play Drums in a small church band, but currently we do not have a Electric Guitar player in our band. I hope Deep Learning can be my Electrician Guitar player if trained on many songs using RNNs :thinking:

I am so thankful for this amazing opportunity and looking forward to learn a lot.

ā€”Abilash

3 Likes

I am a software engineer. Primarily writing code using Java. For last few year I transitioned into the big data space. I am doing machine learning using distributed environment using big data toolsets. After learning about Machine Learning I want and knowing the pain of creating feature engineering.

I wanted to explore the shortcut of feature extraction by deep learning. I am new to Python, and some of the Deep Learning concepts are overwhelming for me at this pointā€¦

Want to design real time solution using Deep Learning in the distributed setting.

3 Likes

Hello World,

Iā€™ve finally found the courage to introduce myself after the beginnerā€™s category was created and I felt that I wasnā€™t the only one in uncharted waters.

Iā€™m a CS Undergrad student from India.
Iā€™d like to share how I want my journey to be from here (what I hope Iā€™ll be able to target after completing part 1,2) :slight_smile:

What I achieve to get out of deep learning is, I wish to help improve Agriculture in my country. Hereā€™s some background: Labour, Agriculture are the roots of my Nationā€™s economy. I wish to help improve agritech by helping analysing and suggesting better methods/crops and all the possibilities.

Iā€™m also fascinated by Computer Vision. I want to help replace ID cards by Face IDs at my college, create a automated theft detector for retails stores.

Also, My country consists of many small scale retailers. Iā€™d like to help them by analysing sales and other details.

I want to confess that I have almost no idea as to how Iā€™m gonna go about doing this, but I have faith in our FASTAI community that you guys will definitely help me on my path to these goals. Also now that Iā€™ve mentioned these. There is no going back :blush:

Regards,
Sanyam Bhutani

7 Likes

@init_27 (Sanyam) ā€“ donā€™t worry about how you will get there, just take the next step as it comes!

And I would say that to all here who arenā€™t sure how they are going to get to where their dreams are leading them ā€“ kudos for taking the first step, and just keep on moving forward, step by step. And try to enjoy the process :slight_smile:

I say that with the wisdom of my 53 years :joy: Life will surprise you, sometimes not pleasantly, but all in all itā€™s an amazing journey!

10 Likes

@init_27 very good projects you have! I see a lot of people wants to do something with deep learning/agriculture. Iā€™m also interested by these domains :slight_smile: . This project really got me excited as you can retrieve all the data from a plant and maybe predict the best parameters for a given plant to grow it? That would be amazing to see people from this community making a startups/projects which are really impactful on domains that matters like bioinformatics/agriculture/health etc etcā€¦

And I would say that to all here who arenā€™t sure how they are going to get to where their dreams are leading them ā€“ kudos for taking the first step, and just keep on moving forward, step by step. And try to enjoy the process :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for these kind words @memetzgz . I left my job 1 year ago to switch to Data science and last week Iā€™ve taken my first freelance mission in ML that I totally failed :laughing: . But I was just not ready and as you say life is full of surprises. Data science is just a domain where you shouldnā€™t be too much worried about opportunities showing up. If you keep working hard (and smart) Iā€™m sure opportunities will come to you at some point :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@ekami I know what you mean about just not ready. I botched a data scientist interview a couple of months ago by failing an entry-level coding problem. Oops :grimacing: But life goes on. And as you said, more opportunities will come our way. Patience is a useful muscle to exercise!

4 Likes

Thank you for you kind words!
Iā€™ll keep trying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s amazing. I think it is the end goal for all of us practitioners, to create something that might just be able to run even on a Raspberry Pi board. The most underpowered Motherboard that one can get hands on, but one thatā€™d be accessible to all.

Iā€™ll try my best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

Iā€™m a bioengineering student from Lausanne, in Switzerland. Iā€™m currently working on my master thesis in Boston and Iā€™ve been fascinating by deep learning since a couple of years.

I tried to use deep learning on different problems until now, such as creating a poker agent or predict cancer severity from images. For this last project, the first version of the fast.ai course help me a lot. Really a lot. Particularly, I really enjoyed the way @jeremy presents his course ā€“ even if Iā€™m a full-time student, I usually never go to class because I hate the way they are given. I think someone living in a galaxy far, far away said a long time ago Ā«If you donā€™t use a Top-Down approach to teach, you will become an agent of evilĀ».

Now, Iā€™m working notably on protein engineering with DL and image analysis of cell culture. My goal is to get into a PhD program in ML next year.

If anybody is living near Boston or Lausanne, please drop me a message!

ā€“Michael (Twitter: @moret1788)

6 Likes

Weā€™ve had one student have to drop out unfortunately. So weā€™ve added a new participant, @lrajlich (Luke Rajlich). Luke was a co-founder of the very popular Farmville game (Iā€™m sure some of you played it! :slight_smile: ) and tells me heā€™s been busily catching up on the lesson videos over the weekendā€¦ Welcome Luke!

2 Likes

Iā€™m also curious to know what youā€™ll be working on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome @lrajlich!

Thinking about doing something with word vectors on the Aozora Bunko corpus. Nothing too specific yet. :slight_smile: Any input is appreciated! :grin:

@lrajlich How about Deepville this time? :wink: Welcome!

1 Like

@lrajlich I would be interested in your thought on how deep learning will help startup founder as most of the startup donā€™t have the data to start with. Would love to know your perspectives.

Thank for the intro @jeremy and thanks @zaoyang for the intro here. Happy to be a late comer, I want to get my hands dirty with deep learning and building models. I donā€™t have an extremely specific objective other than to learn how to practically apply deep learning and Iā€™ll go from there once I have more experience.

Iā€™ve had a long passion for analytical work and some experience experience - first job out of college was working on quant trading strategies at a hedge fund and I built a rather janky analytics system to measure cohort retention in R ā€“ this was pre mixpanel or other SaaS analytics providers at my startup with Zao.

Thanks @KevinB! @anandsaha you jest, but maybe ;)ā€¦ @atulkum - it probably depends on what the startup is doing but if you plan to build features to run models against user input data, then you could possibly train a model on publicly available data? Also having some friendlies who fit your customer profile and are willing to share data with you would be a huge help to get the ball rolling.

5 Likes