Floyd - alternative to AWS P2 instance

Floydhub looks like it will be the future of ML, it’s very easy to use and setup (I figured out pretty much everything immediately, and I am a ML novice). Problem for me was that the version of keras they have on their theano instances was old, and I had no end of trouble trying to make it work. This would be fine if I knew what I was doing with keras and ML, because then I could just rewrite the scripts, which I did, but then it threw some other error and I gave up (for now). I expect to be back soon though because it seems like Floydhub is very promising

Hi! We released a new set of theano images with keras 2.0.3 installed. You can try it out by passing --env theano-0.9 or --env theano-0.8 to the run command. We will be updating the documentation soon to pick up all the new images including tensorflow-1.2.

@natedl98 Please update your CLI (pip install -U floyd-cli) and try the new environments that @houqp mentioned above

1 Like

Awesome, can’t wait to try them out! Considering I just last used FloydHub like a couple weeks ago, y’all must be moving at a fast pace- very nice work

FloydHub is YC, correct?

Thanks! Yes, we were in the last (W17) YC batch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Sai

I’m using this guide but i have some errors, any idea?

import utils; reload(utils)
from utils import plots

WARNING (theano.sandbox.cuda): CUDA is installed, but device gpu is not available  (error: Unable to get the number of gpus available: no CUDA-capable device is detected). Using Theano backend.

Hi Sai
Do you know why this error appears?

import utils; reload(utils)
from utils import plots

WARNING (theano.sandbox.cuda): CUDA is installed, but device gpu is not available (error: Unable to get the number of gpus available: no CUDA-capable device is detected). Using Theano backend.

There is no error :slight_smile:

What you see is the previously saved notebook. When you actually run the cell, you should see:

Using cuDNN version 5110 on context None
Preallocating 10867/11439 Mb (0.950000) on cuda
Mapped name None to device cuda: Tesla K80 (0000:00:1E.0)
Using Theano backend.
1 Like

Hi, I just signed up, but when I login, my browser did not open so I did not get an authentication token. Can you please help? Thanks

Susan

Never mind, I was able to figure it out. But now I am having problem uploading data, is it because my trial 3600 seconds ran out? My jupyter notebook has become “404”.

Susan

is there any chance that you’ll offer the free 100h trial again (or perhaps something similar)?

I am having the same issues with Floyd on uploading data. What did you end up using? I’m having “Segmentation fault (core dumped)” problem with AWS when downloading dogscats data. So frustrated.

If you don’t have access to a browser for floyd login, please use the --token flag. See http://docs.floydhub.com/commands/login/

Our 100 hours free promotional plan has ended. We are working on a new pricing plan, including a new free tier that should be out in a couple of weeks!

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems with the data upload. What exactly are you seeing? Any logs or screenshots would be helpful. You can also reach out to us: support@floydhub.com

We are aware that our data uploads are slow and we are actively working on fixing this!

Loving Floydhub so far.

@sai @narenst

I have a question about downloading data-sets from AWS S3. My PyTorch models are trained on huge amounts of data that we generate using a Spark process and dump to an AWS S3 location. My Python code loads files of data from there on-demand. Of course when I try to do that from the Floyd instance, it fails because it is not authorized to access my AWS S3 data.

How do you guys suggest getting around this? I think your data-set creation workflow is only for uploading data from my local computer. But it would be great to support downloading from an AWS S3 bucket, and if the bucket has access restrictions, there should be a way to supply the necessary credentials (secret/access key).

Once I know how to do this, I can switch my workflow to Floydhub

Hi All,

I’m new to DL and very new to most of the software mentioned in the setup video so I’ve a doubt with respect to environment setup if we prefer Floyd.

For AWS we’ve steps that we’ve to follow to setup environment before we proceed with course. I wanted to know if anyone here has chosen Floyd and can provide which all steps I’ve to alter and where can I find altered commands?

@sai, Does Floyd provides any document or help guide on which commands I’ve to run in place of AWS while configuring environment using Floyd?

Hi The link for the dataset posted here is not available. Can you please help with it.

Hi @narenst , sorry to revive this thread. For what I see in the rest of the conversation there’s a big roadblock on the dataset. In this post in March sounds like you made the dogscats dataset publicly available to anyone but as of today (aug 27) the link takes you to a 404 and I can’t find any reference to a publicly avaialble dataset.
I understand we’re able to mount any publicly available dataset as per http://docs.floydhub.com/guides/data/mounting_data but we need the details of it. Can you share it or confirm if it is no longer available and everyone needs to mount his/her own?
Thanks again for the support and for Floydhub!

Do you’ve any docker image which can be used for setup?