Fast.ai Library Question about the head/base get_layer_groups?

I’ve built an autoencoder model that applies structured data principles to the porto segurno winning entry method and I’m trying to convert it now into the head/base format of fast.ai so that I can use the base as a starting point for recommendation after it’s been trained.

I’ve combined the head and base and I’ve written a corresponding Model wrapper class but I’m unclear of what I should include and what I should leave out from the examples.

It seems like the get_layer_groups is registering parameters with the layer optimizer, and I also see it used in freezing and cutting so I suspect that it’s used to refer to different parts of the model for differential learning rates, freezing and cutting, but I wanted to get the input of someone who knows the library to explain what the role of layer groups is, where the cutoffs should be, and what I should be including/leaving out. For now I’ve used:

def get_layer_groups(self):
m = self.model
return [m.base.embs, [m.base.bn]+children(m.base.lins)+children(m.base.bns),
children(m.head.lins)+children(m.head.bns)]

Modelled after the structured model’s equivalent.

2 Likes

get_layer_groups is the only thing you need to define in your Model class. It returns all the layers (modules) that you want to optimize - fastai will grab the params from them where requires_grad=True. More specifically, you return a list of lists of layers. Each element of the outer list is considered a “layer group”. Each layer group gets its own learning rate and weight decay.

If the list you return contains a single item (which would be a list of all layers) then you’ll only have one layer group, and can’t do discriminative learning rates. At the other extreme, you could return a separate item for every layer.

2 Likes

How to modify the our model in order to use the differential learning rate ? thanks

@charming have you found the way to alter layer_groups for an already created model or just moved on?

Layer groups is a fairly straightforward concept. It’s just a list of the different weights of your model that you want to be able to interact with independently. If you don’t want to do anything fancy like freezing the model head and training the base you can create a very simple layer group that has only one element. There’s usually a straightforward way to break it up though.

Well, what is this “straightforward way to break it up though” for an already created learner? Where/What should I look for?

I can create my learner in a custom way, defining desired layer groups along the way, as there are a few excellent notebooks on the subject. I was just interested in changing existing model.

The simplest is to just use:

class SingleModel(BasicModel):
def get_layer_groups(self): return [self.model]

nlp.py has a good example (TextModel) if you want to break it up into different layers:

class TextModel(BasicModel):
m = self.model[0]
return [m.encoder, *zip(m.rnns, m.dropouths), (self.model[1], m.dropouti)]

I personally find it a little confusing to have two classes named model so I call it a ModelWrapper. Here’s another example from a method I created.

class DAEModelWrapper(BasicModel):
def init(self, model, name=‘DAE’):
self.model,self.name = model,name
m = self.model
return [m.base.embs, [m.base.bn]+children(m.base.lins)+children(m.base.bns),
children(m.head.lins)+children(m.head.bns)]

You might want to check the other forum though as there’s a thread on interacting with the different layers there.

Hope this helped.

Hi jeremy

lgs = list(split_by_idxs(children(self.model.rn), [lr_cut]))
return lgs + [children(self.model.features)[1:]]
This is inside get_layers_Groups
any reason why do we have 1: there, if we dont give any index just use all features what would be the difference…

Hi,

It says that the LagnuageModel inherites from the BasicModel class.
However I couldn’t find the BasicModel for import.
I can I resolve it? Where is it located?
Thank you

I think you may be able to find it in fastai/core.py

class BasicModel():
    def __init__(self,model,name='unnamed'): self.model,self.name = model,name
    def get_layer_groups(self, do_fc=False): return children(self.model)

But like what was mentioned in the lecture here it kinda doesn’t do too much

Also, as stated in the forum etiquettes, try not to direct your question to jeremy, let others in the forum offer their help :wink:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer. Well… I am new here :slightly_smiling_face:

I am struggling with some other (allegedly) missing classes/methods.
For example the function ‘to_gpu()’. I know it should also be in ‘core.py’, but it is not there.
I will be greatful if someone can share this function.
Thank you

Try watching this. Thereafter, you can find anything in fastai. Well, almost everything.

also in core.py

USE_GPU = torch.cuda.is_available()

def to_gpu(x, *args, **kwargs):
    '''puts pytorch variable to gpu, if cuda is available and USE_GPU is set to true. '''
    return x.cuda(*args, **kwargs) if USE_GPU else x

Great! Thanks