Confused in finding a DL job-- My interview experience sharing

Congrats.

Actually, I start learning machine learning since 2016, I have some foundation about neural network, and fastai help me to go deeper, every concept I learnt from Andrew Ngā€™s course, got particed and reinforced in fastai:grinning: I have to say itā€™s a great ā€œactionā€ course, many technique Jeremy mentioned are very useful.

Congratulations!

Congrats!!

Congrats Justin!!

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!

Really inspiring! Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations for the job :smile:

Congratulations @justinho
Iā€™m reading your post, awesome writing.
Anyway Iā€™m CS student from SJTU Shanghai, still in progress to learn from fast.ai and learn some Chinese language too, haha.
Please read my personal message, need to clarify some thought before I graduate next year :smiley:

This is a very interesting discussion. I was wondering if there is any underlying IP issues related to deeply rely on a framework - such as Fast.AI library? Is this the reason those companies want to go a non-framework way? In other words, ā€œdo you own the underlying technology that you are re-tooling?ā€

Ops just realized this is a thread from last year. But anyway, if it is possible, Iā€™d like to get some answers regarding using open-framework such as Fast.AI to develop commercial end-product.

The fastai license is very open - there shouldnā€™t be any problem using it in a commercial product.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,
I want to share my experience, I just attended Udacityā€™s Hiring Fair and want to share my experience/preparation methodology:

The Event

Udacity hosts hiring fairs in India where they bring their hiring partners and the students get to apply.

My Experience

I was seeking entry level Data/ML/DL/SDC positons.

Here are the questions Iā€™ve prepared from during the last week.
Here is the resume that I had crafted after spending 14-15 hours over the formatting and correcting spaces.

There were 2 companies that were hiring for ML. Gramophone was strictly hiring experienced people. Marax.ai was interested in Freshers, I got picked up by them!!! I was floated the position of an intern since they were looking for hiring someone but Iā€™m still a student and they were interested in giving me a shot-They shortlisted me for further rounds.

A few tips for attending a hiring fair:

• Carry plenty of copy of Resumeā€™. I had carried in 20, if I was an experienced person those wouldā€™ve definitely been less.
  • This might sound ridiculous - be shameless. I had the courage to walk into companiesā€™ rooms that were looking at people with 4-5 years of experience. I requested them to consider my application and then when I got turned down, asked for their feedback. I think their feedback was really helpful.
  • Be Patient! The event was from 9AM-6PM. I had almost given up hope until My name got called out at 4:50PM!!
  • I was sure enough to talk with the people that were commonly being called for interviews. I discussed their paths, asked for feedback.
  • Know your Resume in and out. My Resume has a huge education section, even though I believe Iā€™ve done more projects than my college friends. I still have ā€œStudentā€ shouting from my Resumeā€™s first look.
  • If discussing a technical question, think loudly! It is impossible for someone to understand you in under 1-2 hours. So talk aloud about your thought process. Thatā€™s what the few hours of interview are meant for.

A little Personal Note: (And a few silly ideas)

To me, the fact that I didnā€™t know how to git pull until last fall and now I was able to walk into a completely professional scenario, give an interview with complete confidence is still unbelievable.

If youā€™re like me from a Month ago, here are a few silly things that gave me confidence:

• I called up my biggest bragster friend- compared my efforts with them, I felt that I certainly am not the worst candidate. (The guy is an artist but he cares to jump into DL in and out and I think I know a few things better than him)
  • I told myself ā€œEvery single day Iā€™ve spent during the past few months, were for getting an oppurtunity, so Be Confident. Iā€™ve done my homework wellā€
  • This one was ridiculous: I called up an Audi seller and asked them about R8ā€™s colour options the day before the interview - I wasnā€™t even considering that I might get rejected. I walked in with a mind that Iā€™d land so much money that Iā€™d drive home in Audi, even though I was pretty sure that I was going to Uber Pool the next day.
  • @rishi_mrb (My Roomate) and I were planning on where to celebrate once we get an ā€œofferā€, the night before the interview.
  • Know that the person Interviewing you is on YOUR SIDE!

TL:DR; Be confident-I was really nervous but these few silly things really helped me in staying confident.

Iā€™m still very less knowledgable and I still havenā€™t gotten a ā€œJob-jobā€ but I really believe that I have some movement in the right direction.

I think much of/rather all of it is thanks to this community.
The Heroes and Kagglers I look up to on here and everyone who has helped me with my silly questions (Not tagging everyone since Itā€™d be a very long list).

Sanyam.

10 Likes