Any suggestions for brushing up on Calculus?

I was considering to go through Khan academy but wanted to know if there was a better alternative that people can suggest.

I read http://www.quuxlabs.com/blog/2010/09/matrix-factorization-a-simple-tutorial-and-implementation-in-python/ and was trying to derive the partial derivatives and got lost somewhere in between. So thought I should brush up on Calculus.

3 Likes

Also check out the 3Blue1Brown essence of calculus video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDMsr9K-rj53DwVRMYO3t5Yr

13 Likes

@rachel hope you are doing well in recovery, with best wishes!

1 Like

Didn’t know that you were in recovery. Best wishes for your recovery.

1 Like

Thank you @wluo and @anshbansal ! I had bacterial meningitis (which is much more severe than viral meningitis), and recovery can take a while.

1 Like

@rachel Wish you fast recovery. Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Robert Ghrist’s series on coursera is amazingly well done. The multivariate course is still in preparation, but the corresponding ebooks are already on Amazon.

6 Likes

So I made a list of the courses. If I complete these then that is enough for understanding at least some of the Calculus part that comes up in articles? I know it would depend on what I am reading but at least some part of the articles that beginners may come across?

3 Likes

If you are going for the short-term utilitarian approach, I would recommend doing courses 1 and 2 from the list, and then reading the ebooks 1 and 2.

However, if you can make time, I would recommend doing all the courses, because they kind of reinforce each other. Your understanding of differentiation is strengthened by the integration chapters, and the discrete calculus chapters cause you to review everything learned in a new light, again reinforcing the learning.

3 Likes

I am doing this for long term. So I will do all 5. Thanks for the reference.

Here’s a few (I’m a visual learner and a computational designer and software engineer so explaining abstract math concepts visually I can grasp much easier).

BetterExplained - probably some of the better visualized explanations of math - he has lots of links to Calculus classes other than the ones I found on Coursera that I recommend. He has a good book too.

Brilliant - more quizlet-like, magoosh like Q&A but great interactive to remember concepts.

3 Likes

This is a great textbook (and it’s free!):

The book consists of ~2 page sections with great practice problems at the end of each section. He does a great job providing both conceptual understanding and practical implementation.

3 Likes

Calculus made easy by Slyvanus Thompson. Quite possibly the best calculus book I’ve ever read. Its free online or you can buy on amazon. It’s like 100 years old.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf

3 Likes

+1 for 3Blue1Brown, amazing content. If you are like me and you like to learn by solving problems I can highly recommend the Art of Problem Solving books, they cover calculus as well. As you said you are doing this for the long-term I can also recommend Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott, which is a nice, and very readable, introduction if you prefer to go deeper.

1 Like

Hi, I just was looking up the same query and all these threads are extremely helpful. I want to contribute to this budding repository also. I have also found these really simple to find concept explainers of arithmetic and geometric sequences and I also suspect that they have more on other concepts. Glad i could pay some forward :slight_smile: